How to test for functioning ABS

D_W_L

aka, DL-ST95
Bike
ST1100
I've been considering a change to a smaller bike and one of features, that I have never had, that is important to me is ABS. My question is, how can ABS be tested when doing a test ride? Testing the rear rear is, obviously, pretty straight forward ... apply full pressure to the pedal and wait for the ABS action to engage. What about the front though? While testing someone else's bike, applying full pressure to the brake lever presents a risk that I would like to avoid. Any thoughts on testing the front. Thanks.

Dave

Bike
ST1100
not a problem to test front wheel ABS... just find flat even dirt/sandy road and grab brake lever.. wet asphalt is good too

Bike
R1200rt
ABS light should go on with key on, bulb check mode. Most will go off after starting. If there is a problem in the system the light will stay on. On my BMW the brake warning light flashes till it sees' both wheel speed sensors working then the light goes off. So if the light works and doesn't stay on it's safe to say it's operating normally.

Bike
ST1100
as I got a question, it really was about how to try working ABS, not just test it)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
ABS is self diagnostic. If the ABS light goes off the system is ready to engage when needed. If you insist on checking it then press hard on the brake pedal. If the pedal pulses the front ABS will engage when needed.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Testing someone else's bike's ABS can be problematical if you want more than the bike's diagnostic system to tell you it works. Make sure you and the owner know who is responsible should you drop the bike and who foots the bill for any repairs.

Top Bottom