Howdy!

I'm new around here and don't yet own an ST. Came for info, specifically about fairing availability. Looking at a 2006 w/53K miles but the previous owner had put the front police bars on and looks like the fairings were cut to do so...and I really don't like the look of those bars.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I reckon that any bike that is being sold for parts will probably have had a spill, and the first thing to hit the ground will be the fairing.

I've just looked at UK importer fiches (Fowlers) - they list the left and right lower cowl as 'Not in Stock' - which usually means that they can get them, as they put 'No Longer Available' for parts that they can no longer get hold of. But they are £580 per side.

I have seen mention of a Chinese copy but goodness knows how much or how good they are - and whether or not the holes line up. That's if you don't mind giving them your money.

I'm with @Bikeric - I'd buy a different one. The fairing isn't the only thing that has been altered on Police bikes - and they cannot sell them with the police parts fitted, so are they just cut off ?? I don't know. Personally I wouldn't touch that model with that mileage with that history. But you do need to leave money to replace whatever needs fixing on an older bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard. Fairing pieces are not widely available. If a bike is crashed and goes down on one side, the other side might be in remarkably good condition, but other than that kind of salvage, you take what you can find and repair it (think auto body shop). At least a couple of guys here bought the Chinese copy. One of them wrote about it extensively and how bad it was. I believe he did not end up using it, but I don't remember. @SupraSabre, care to add something about your experience?

Consider that one of our regular posters owns 8 (yes eight) ST1100s - four are working fine and the remainder are for parts. He has already swapped an engine into one of his working bikes. Parts are slowly becoming extinct and the early bird gets the parts.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Welcome aboard, and good luck with your search. I agree with Eric and John - wait for a better one, they're out there!

Happy trails,
Patty

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Howdy from Alabama!
Plastics are pricey, as noted, and that's IF you can find 'em.
Keep your eyes open, grow your money, and be patient. You can also find better ones in our For Sale subforum and elsewhere.
Obviously, we like 'em here.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

I also have a 2006 Ex Cop bike, (sitting in my shed out back) that I was going to fix up for one of my sons. I sold him my 2010, instead. ;)

Welcome aboard. Fairing pieces are not widely available. If a bike is crashed and goes down on one side, the other side might be in remarkably good condition, but other than that kind of salvage, you take what you can find and repair it (think auto body shop). At least a couple of guys here bought the Chinese copy. One of them wrote about it extensively and how bad it was. I believe he did not end up using it, but I don't remember. @SupraSabre, care to add something about your experience?

Consider that one of our regular posters owns 8 (yes eight) ST1100s - four are working fine and the remainder are for parts. He has already swapped an engine into one of his working bikes. Parts are slowly becoming extinct and the early bird gets the parts.
As for replacement parts, as SMSW said, back in 2013, I did pick up some Chinese replacement part that were really bad. and just got rid of them. But, after I bought the 2006, last June, I found some "injection molded" parts on ebay that looked like they might fit the bill.

ST1300 injection molded parts

But, even though I did buy one of these sets, I haven't used it yet. But it does look like they'll work :think1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
@milq, for $300 and free shipping, you cannot go wrong...if the pieces fit. However, a good, professional paint job is not cheap.

OP
OP
milq
Thanks all, I have a 1988 K75S so I'm familiar with scrounging for parts!

I asked the current owner for a better pic and the fairing has been cut to allow mounting the bars, I was hoping to see factory-looking holes from a police bike fairing.

The bike was previously owned by a police officer but it is black with Yellow/green-ish decals so the entire thing may have been painted for all I know. The current owner has had it for 4 years and ridden around 800 miles in that time. It runs well but the clutch is a bit mushy so may need a slave replacement, another knock against it.

I've reached out to a seller on Cycle Trader with an 07 and hoping to hear back. He has multiple pics and everything looks very clean so hope it's still there. Wish I'd been around here sooner, I'm close to the ST that was for sale in Flat Rock, IL.

Top Bottom