If replcing the timing belt, what else?

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Appreciate all the input! After talking to him some more about it, I realized that he hadn't even inspected the belt yet, and was already worried about replacement due to age even though it only has 37k miles on it. I told him it was a quick and easy check, and after the inspection we found nothing wrong visually with the belt, so I think at this point he's just going to ride it. I'd do the same thing if it were mine.
I have a '91 and I too was concerned about my timing belt due to age and took a look at it, it looked fine, actually alot better than I thought. So I am going to wait too. Right now I have 47K.

I have never heard of a new belt breaking, unless there was another problem like the water pump seizing up or the installation was done incorrectly. Visual inspection of timing belts does not really tell you much unless there are obvious wear points or pieces breaking away. I did a friends at 180,000kms and the old belt looked ok, but was a bit stiffer than the new one. Old timing belts are used in workshops to lift engine etc so are very tough.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Age of a belt is more important than its correct use, (notice I say "correct"). After proper installation the belt runs in a virtually dust-free and dry environment. That greatly minimizes wear but doesn't stop the rubber and internal reinforcing compounds from aging and eventually producing cracks or even separation.

If you've recently taken on an old St with low mileage it's definitely in your best interest to change and "benchmark" the belt if you don't know the bike's history. The alternative of leaving it could have very expensive consequences.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I got my '95 ST in August last year with just under 80k miles on it. No idea whether or not the belt has been changed... so I ordered one. BTW, the Gates belt is back in stock on Amazon.

Gonna try to do the belt swap and cooling system refresh either in April or May. Need to read up on it, and get the rest of the parts lined up.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
That would be my idea also. But I know of veery few instances where an ST11 actually broke, even though people leave them on for 10+ years all the time. But does anyone know of the belt braking? And...does it drive the water pump like on Honda car engines?
The TB drives the water pump, but if you break a TB The water pump isn't your problem. The ST engine is an interference engine. The valves and pistons occupy the same space if not in time. Best case is probably bent valves. Possibly destroyed pistons. I have a '91 engine with 30K miles, that is sitting in the corner of the shop. TB looks new, BUT the engine hasn't been in a bike in years. Just changed the TB on my '91 with 85K miles and it had no cracks, but did have the outer top edge worn for 7".

Yes, I have read several instances of the ST Tb breaking.

Ralph Sims

Top Bottom