Ignition noise with Valentine

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Need some advice. I have a persistent ignition "tick" running with my Valentine one.

Setup:

Valentine running through their remote audio module. The module is then hooked into a Stacom 1 Advanced using Starcoms proprietary cable. The Valentine is powered via a Centech relay and Fuse block. The power runs through the module to the detector unit. The relay is grounded through the fuse block to the frame of the bike. If I take the remote audio module off the bike and hold it a few feet away the ignition "tick" goes away. As soon as I get the remote audio module anyway near the bike, the tick returns. I can run the cable on the bike and there is no tick. The remote audio module seems to be the issue. The Stacom requires that the remote audio module is used, therefore I cannot simply bypass the remote and hook the Valentine directly to the Starcom unit.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rod

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Sounds like the RAM is picking up coil noise. What path does the RAM take to the Starcom?

<D>

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Check your manual for the V1 Rod. IIRC there's a couple of different ways to power everything using the audio module, depending on where you want the V1 power to be switched from. Maybe the other one will be quieter. There is an issue with some of the earlier (mine) audio units. The way the two outputs are wired creates a high pitched buzz in the audio when using the rear output. You can actually hear the comparison generator, sort of a 60 cycle whine. The fix for this is a little more elaborate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have the RAM mounted on the brake resevoir. If I take it off and move it a few feet away from the bike, the ticking stops (even if I leave the cable running in its original location. So I don't think the cable is picking up the noise). If I move the RAM back closer to the bike, the ticking returns; increasing in volume the closer it gets.
I am using the direct wire power adapter; powering the RAM from that and then powering the detector from the RAM.

I will try powering the detector directly from the direct wire adapter and see if that helps.

This may all be a mute points since the noise will probably be drowned out by wind/road noise.

Thanks
Rod

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Which output from the remote audio module are you using? I had a conversation with the maker of the Mix-It audio mixer, and he said the rear output is very noisy, but the front is much better. So if you're using the rear, you might want to try the other.

HTH,

Bike
2003 STX1300
STOC #
I have a Starcom 1 and used to pick up ignition noise. I also could hear the indicators or the main beam switch on through the intercom and my GPS.

The trick I found is to connect the Starcom 1 directly to a clean power source (i.e. directly to the battery) and not through a relay. The unit only switches on when you plug in the headset.

They also market a noise filter that is designed to remove ignition noise. I have to admit that it is one of those "got it must fit it" things that are in my garage. This unit also allows you run an accessory of this unit. You could then run the intercom + Valentine 1 if you wanted.

Mark

Top Bottom