Is it possible to separate rubber diaphragm from Slide

Bike
ST1100AY
I would like to get my slides soda blasted and this would be safer if I could remove the rubber , was wondering if it’s possible to separate and then get them back together !

On my vtx the answèr is no...if removed you had to replace. Aftermarket diaphram supplier.

These people might have a replacement diaphragm....

Bike
2010 ST1300
My guess is old fuel varnish buildup on the slides? No reason to do anything if they are clean. I've never heard of soda blasting, but I would guess it is a mild abrasive like walnut shells that does not harm soft metal.

Bike
2005 st1300
I assumed that it was to clean them, but there's no need to have to blast them with all the chemicals we have nowadays. They are polished pieces and using any kind of blasting is going to take some of that polish away and possibly cause some binding/sticking. I would clean them with chemicals and then spray a dry film lubricant on the slides.
My apologies to the OP, I should have stated it this way rather than just ask "why"

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
My guess is old fuel varnish buildup on the slides? No reason to do anything if they are clean. I've never heard of soda blasting, but I would guess it is a mild abrasive like walnut shells that does not harm soft metal.
As in Baking Soda used as the medium instead of sand.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
These people might have a replacement diaphragm....
This is an amazing resource , thank you

Top Bottom