is this clutch fluid on top of alternator

Bike
st1100
hi ..1992 st 1100 was looking under bike to look for earth strap and noticed was i thought was oil on top of alternator; i think its the alternator; its looks like their is a red plug on it left side of bike near gear lever ,, what is the best way to get at it so i can check was is going on,,and what panels do i need to take off when i put my finger up there it looks like clutch fluid..i did notice last week that my clutch was loosing pressure on clutch lever, i pumped it and went back to normal. i checked my clutch fluid and it was low.. i have not ridden the bike for a month,, i need to get at alternator plug and check and clean it as well as check to see where the leakage of fluid is coming from, any ideas on this guys..regards jim :):biker::)

I would've thought it's more likely oil, as the alternator's oil-cooled and they've been known to leak a little bit at the seal. Seems unlikely that clutch fluid would show up at the rear of the engine.

My '93 developed a small leak through the harness and oil would travel up the wires inside the outer harness jacket/cover to where the red 3P plug is and then drip from there. Couldn't figure out why everything was oily under the left side cover for a while. ???

I agree with Pat and Jeff, probably motor oil. The clutch fluid travels from the master cylinder to the front of the engine, just behind the lower cowl. Bleed valve there.

I agree with Pat and Jeff, probably motor oil. The clutch fluid travels from the master cylinder to the front of the engine, just behind the lower cowl. Bleed valve there.

hi. thanks guys..they are no leaks on the floor i just noticed a slight bit of oil on side of alternator..i could do with looking at the plug just to clean the contacts for peacer of mind..which is my best way to get at the plug.......................also my clutch it is not slipping and changes gears well. and again no leaks on floor..but while in garage i just pulled my clutch in, to much play..i took cover of and only a little fluid in and it was dirty, topped it up pumped the lever a few times and back to normal so again which is the best way to go about this ...i have not had the bike long..when i bought the bike it had full service history with it from new....regards jim:):biker::):biker:

Clutch bleeds just like brakes. Follow your clutch line down to the front of the motor (at the bottom front). There is a bleed valve there to pump the air out of the system.

Another possibility on the oil leak: seal on the shifter shaft is leaking on my old silve 91. That oil can blow onto the alternator.

Another possibililty on the clutch play: the chrome rod that comes out of the clutch mast cylinder can wear thru the brash bushing in the clutch handle, and eventually even thru the back side of the handle. Check that. AMHIK.

Say Jeff, I know it has been a while, but what did you do regarding the drip around the connector? I have the exact same problem on my '93 1100.

It depends on how bad it is. Usually it is the O-ring that is leaking a little. My 93 does this. It isn't bad enough to worry about. Not enough to ever drip a drop to the ground in my case. The problem with the fix is that you have to pull the swing arm to get to it. Same process as the 40 amp upgrade so if I went in to fix it I would do the conversion. In my case I keep an eye on it but never have to add oil between changes so I let it go.

Say Jeff, I know it has been a while, but what did you do regarding the drip around the connector? I have the exact same problem on my '93 1100.

In my case, I upgraded to the 40A alternator which eliminates this problem point. I wouldn't have upgraded just because of the leak, but one of the windings in the original 28A stator went out.

Back
Top Bottom