It got me thinking... ( I KNOW, I shouldn't do that!)

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Been keeping my eye partially open for another ST1100, and saw an ad for a nice looking 91, with 28K on ODO. Now the guy is asking WAAAAY too much for it to even try and work a deal, but it made me think.

I know that previous to the 96 (like I own) the ST had a 28 amp alternator, and when they go out, most everyone upgrades to the 40..... BUT....

Other than the fact the the 28 puts out 12 fewer amps than the 40, is there really any disadvantage to it? Especially if someone, like myself, never adds any electric gizmos?... heated gear, ect ect .

Is there any solid evidence that the 28amp units fail quicker, or anything?.

Just curious.

Odie1

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The guy that's up north of me is on the mark! Plus 2 more connectors to deal with that can fail. The three yellow wire connector and the one to the rectifier. The red wire to the main relay is a concern for all models.
When I had my 1990 I eliminated the three yellow wire connector and that's what has been recommended to do. You still have to deal with the external Voltage Regulator/rectifier though.
You say that you won't add any electric gizmo farkles, but soon you'll be wanting an outlet to charge your phone and wouldn't heated grips be nice..... just sayin' ;)

OP
OP

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Ah - I guess I did not realize the three yellow wire connector and external rectifier went hand in hand with the 28 amp-er.

I had in my mind to be on watch for a 96 or later because of the alternator, but then asked myself why.... ?

Thanks folks!

Odie1

Top Bottom