J&M CB window clouding

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've had a J&M CB for at least 8-10 years, but now the window is clouding making it quite difficult, if not impossible to see the channels. J&M says it's not fixable and I need a new CB. Won't even give me a discount I find this strange. I would think it is not a big problem to put in a new window. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to clear up the window?IMG_9135.jpg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Had similar clouding on my 17 yr old Subaru's plastic headlights. I used toothpaste on a damp rag to clean it off, then polished with Plexus. Came out like new.
It's worth a try, but if your clouding is on the inside you may have to disassemble the case to clean it.
There's also commercial products to clean plastic headlights, check Walmart, etc.
Good luck.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I tried some stuff for cloudy headlights, forgot the name, but it didn't make a difference. I'll look around, but wonder if this is a more widespread problem.

Thanks,

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
I have a very nice J&M CB that I took off my new to me ST1300 that I would consider selling at a reasonable price if you can't find any other solution.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just about every headlight 'cloud remover' contains some kind of abrasive/polishing compound of varying degree to remove surface occlusion. Is it the surface of the window that's the problem or is it through the entire thickness of the plastic?

You might have to start with something a little more coarse than whatever you were using then work up to finer and finer polishing solutions.

I'd try to avoid anything that contains a petroleum product as it might attack the plastic.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Plastics are not as stable as metals, wood or other materials. Museums, for example, have reported that entire collections of 40's and 50's items of contemporary culture (of which, many are plastic) are literally melting. Old film stock (nitrocellulose) can become unstable as it gets brittle and crumbles. I've read old movie masters - the raw scenes as well as the original full length, edited movie have been lost, sometimes before the owners digitized them. All this is to say that modern plastics, while perhaps more stable than the early ones, still deteriorate when exposed to sunlight and weathering and there is not much we can do about it.

I'd try one of the headlight polishing kits (maybe even the toothpaste idea suggested by @larryg) first. Then I'd consider taking the thing apart. Does J&M sell any parts? Maybe the whole enclosure with the window? That window is likely glued in and you might damage the case trying to remove it. I have no doubt that with a machine shop's tools, you could cut the window away, mill a new window to fit, and glue it in place, but the amount of work might not make any rational sense.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
When I had a J & M set up, I found their cables to be expensive and not very robust. The unit didn't seem to have much "power".

If you couldn't clear the lens, it's probably on the inside as suggested above. Mine clouded up and had moisture droplets on the inside every time it rained or even sprinkled. Not what I expected for a piece of motorcycle equipment.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd think it very easy to discern if that's moisture on the inside.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
It doesn't clear up when dry and warm for extended periods, and quite uniform, so it doesn't look like moisture. Just tried Rain-X headlight restoration kit on it and only marginal improvement. Maybe during the winter I'll try to take it apart.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have a duel unit boxed up and collecting dust on my shelf in the garage. You pay shipping and it is yours. It worked fine when I removed it from my 07. It is 13 years old. I use a Sena now that works sometimes. I have to say a few choice words before my ride begins! I have 4 bikes. I’ll just swap between bikes. Never had one issue with the J&M.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
When I had a J & M set up, I found their cables to be expensive and not very robust. The unit didn't seem to have much "power".

If you couldn't clear the lens, it's probably on the inside as suggested above. Mine clouded up and had moisture droplets on the inside every time it rained or even sprinkled. Not what I expected for a piece of motorcycle equipment.
JM is the best if installed correctly, of course a better antenna helps (stainless steel)
when I purchased mine many years ago I had Clays CB shop disassemble, clean, fix and re float all solder joints then "swing" the power for optimum performance and output. I dont care if you believe it but on a good clean squelch minimal day I have communicated @ 100 miles.
An out of the box CB radio can have issues, a professional radio tech is recommended to go through the unit before installation.
it's a shame so many riders here have had issues (usually their own doing) and feel this CB is not quality

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I've had a J&M CB for at least 8-10 years, but now the window is clouding making it quite difficult, if not impossible to see the channels. J&M says it's not fixable and I need a new CB. Won't even give me a discount I find this strange. I would think it is not a big problem to put in a new window. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to clear up the window?IMG_9135.jpg
I suggest sending it to these guys http://www.claysradioshop.com/

Top Bottom