J&M Handlebar CB Wire Question

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I just bought a used J&M Handlbar CB for my 07 ST1300. I mounted the CB on the clutch reservoir and
see that the antenna cable and other cable that leads to the headphones and power source are about 2'
long. Where are folks running these to ? They are not long enough to go down the handlebars and all
the way under the gas tank, so where do the other cables plug into these ? Are people making the
connection within the front fork area or running the cableing that is hooked directly to the CB part way
under the gas tank and hooking stuff up there or ???

Appreciate any insight you can provide. Also will I have to strip the left side plastic off the bike to run
these cables ?

Thanks JimC

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have an 07 ST1300 and mounted the same radio 2 years ago. I did the same as you are referring to, the power and co-axial cables ran under left side of tank,(between airbox and frame)the headset wires ran under left plastic cowling. I made a hole just aft of the left glove box for the harness and aux audio wires to come out. I can take some pics of my setup tomorrow, the antenna can be tricky be not difficult if you do it right. My radio was checked out and tuned by a radio shop for maximum output and function before I installed it. I use a stainless steel antenna and the power and reception is excellent.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a 2007 and had some assistance running the cables for the GPS and the J&M CB. I don't have pictures to show you but the cables run down the handle bars and there is a big loop at the bottom where it turns and runs along the frame back the rear of the bike into the Autocom interface and the fuse block. As I remember it, there is a coaxial (PL-259) connection to the antenna on the rear of the bike (Fire Stick which I purchased at a local truck stop) somewhere just around the fuel tank.

I am curious about what you are using for a comm system and how you plan on interfacing the J&M to the comm system.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Just to add . I took my antenna output and ran it to the top of the triple tree so the connector is easily accessed for testing the swr. Then I ran the antenna wire to the right side of the tank and at the back of the air box to the left side with all other wires. I also bought the white single hole wire loops and used the airbox screws to hold them and help route the wires.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I put a J&M JMCB2003 unit on my "07 ST , made a special bracket to hold it between the handlebars. I used the GL1500 folding CB antenna on another special bracket . I made an extension coax cable between the antenna lead and the J&M ant. connector. All the wiring for the unit is in a thick corrugated wiring harness routed between the gas tank and air box and then under the seat then split off to the proper connection , etc. , places . All connections are taped to prevent them getting loose while inside the harness .

OP
OP
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I installed my J&MCB2003 and got everything working now but I am getting quite a bit of hiss or background noise when I receive a transmission.
I can make out what someone is saying but it's a struggle, and it's not as loud as it should be. I have a Firestick NGP ( no ground plane ) antenna,
which isolates the antenna itself from any ground, but the fastening bolt on teh bottom of the antenna actually does have a ground connection, so
I'm guessing it's isolated within the antenna itself from the fastening bolt. Anyway, I have the ground going to a common battery bolt ground.
I've read one of the first things to try is to take the ground to the bike somewhere instead of to the battery. My question is given the aluminum
frame on the bike, where is a good place to get a body ground ?

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Also do not loop your excess antenna wire into a tight coil. if you must loop it do it into a figure 8. The length, type and arrangement of the antenna cable is just as important as the antenna itself.
For your question on grounding point the bolt on the seat bracket at the front is probably the best.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
What model and color of Nolan and what size is the helmet ?

How old is the helmet and how much are you asking for it.

I assume then that the bluetooth headset and adapter replaces the
wired headset. Does it have all the functionality of the wired system
with PTT etc. ?

Jim

OP
OP
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
All of the write ups on the bluetooth dongle seems to indicated that it is aimed at receiving music or incoming CB calls but it does not allow you to transmit wirelessly on the CB, is that correct ?

Top Bottom