Kaoko throttle lock on ST1300A

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
I've been wanting to get a throttle lock, and opted to purchase the Kaoko Throttle Stabilizer through RevZilla for $145. My 2006 ST-1300A has heated grips, plus I also have a cramp buster on the throttle. The effort was more than advertised, and took some fussing (a lot more tools and time than I thought). But, I got it done, and everything is working to my satisfaction so I thought I would share the experience in case it helps others.

Pictured below is the old OEM bar end weight and the long gray bar is the handle bar insert. It has rubber bushings on both ends that create a good amount of friction, so you're not going to pull it out too easily. The instructions have very poor photos, and the instructions say you can just insert a couple small screwdrivers to release a couple tabs inside the bar. Removing the old handle bar insert was pretty difficult. Not knowing what I was doing, I didn't keep pulling on it with a pair of pliers. Instead, I disassembled the throttle assembly, including detaching the two cables so that I could completely slide the throttle off the handlebar. Once the throttle was off, I could see that there was nothing locking the old handle bar insert inside the bar. It just needed a lot of force to pull the old rubber bushings out of the handlebar. After I got the old parts removed, then it was pretty straightforward to slide the throttle back over the bar, reattach the cables and lock nuts, plus insert and tighten the screws.

They say you can throw away the handle bar insert and the old bar end. But you will need the long hex bolt (not pictured) that attaches the bar end for attaching the Kaoko bar end. I made sure to pre-assemble the Kaoko unit, with a little white lithium grease on the threads to prevent any corrosion.

1690241831383.jpeg

Photo shows heated grip completely slid off the end of the bar, after disengaging the throttle cables.

1690242207792.jpeg

After a quick driveway test, I took a short road test and came back home. It poured rain before I could even put the bike away. :)

1690243182281.jpeg

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
Thank you for this post! Timely, as I'm planning on getting this same throttle lock.
Please put up your impressions after using it.

Rob

OP
OP
wiki
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
I took it for a short ride down to the beach and back and was able to easily set, and release, the Kaoko throttle lock. I first tested it parked in the driveway :cool:.

As you twist the throttle, you simply also twist the knurled nut with your pinky finger. You disengage "the lock" by just rolling off the throttle. (There is no "lock", it's just increased friction that can hold the throttle in place when you let go.) The knurled friction nut is reverse threaded aka "left-handed" meaning "lefty tighty; righty loosey". So, when you twist it counter-clockwise it gets tighter; friction increases. When you twist it clockwise, friction decreases. You can set it up to maintain just the right amount of friction so that the throttle snaps back normally upon release; and the Kaoko is not engaged at all. Then, as you ride and want to 'turn on cruise control', just spin the knurled nut a bit with the pinky finger as you are also twisting on the throttle. Now the throttle will hold in place. With the Kaoko engaged, you can still twist the throttle to fine-tune your throttle position and get the right cruising speed.

I did all of this with a light pair of gloves on, but it would work equally well with heavy gloves or bare-handed.

I rode with no hands and the bike balance seems better than before. Whereas there seemed to be the tiniest hint of wobble before, there was none now.

I can't wait to go for a long ride and not have to grip the throttle constantly!

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
I also have the KAOKO throttle 'lock' on my ST. Works perfectly and as simply as WIKI describes.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I had the Karako on my KTM 950, and the Throttlemeister on the Blackbird.
The TM is my preference, and found one here but haven't installed it yet on the ST.
They operate on the same concept. I really like the way the TM looks on a nice road bike... because you don't even see it, unless you know what you're looking at.

OP
OP
wiki
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
After getting out for about 4 hours of riding yesterday, I can say that the Kaoko throttle stabilizer is giving me what I wanted.

I rode about 150 miles of back roads, mostly NH Route 107 between Salisbury, MA and Canterbury, NH - a really nice ride! The Kaoko can be a bit finicky at times if you set it too loose. In this case the bike slows gradually. The cure is to give it a bit of extra tightening with the pinky finger while holding the throttle at the desired twist using the thumb and forefinger. If you just crank up the tension on the Kaoko then it will hold the throttle wherever you leave it - and it is still easy to completely disengage it when you throttle down.

The reason I wanted the Kaoko was to be able to ride without having to constantly grip the right handlebar with force.

1690816121921.png

The fatigue and vibration would just make any long trip untenable. It's especially bad for me due to arthritis in the thumb joint and Dupetrens contracture in the hand tendons. Using the throttle lock, not only can I grip the right handlebar lightly like a feather, I can remove my hand entirely. While I'm not going to advocate riding no-hands, I was able to ride no-hands and observe how my position and weight on the foot pegs could steer the bike. This is an added win because I want to know all the finer points of how my bike handles and how to control it.

As mentioned and pictured previously, I have heated throttle grips, and also the "cramp buster" that makes it easier to twist the throttle. The Kaoko is 100% compatible.

My ST1300A will slow down on a long uphill or speed up on downhills - even on modest grades - so you may need to adjust the throttle to maintain a desired speed. But that is not a problem for me. Riding a motorcycle is obviously something that requires your full-time attention. However, say you're going downhill, and ease off the throttle a bit to avoid going too fast, you might need to use the pinky finger to hold the lock steady, or re-tighten it after throttling down.

Another great thing about having the throttle stabilizer is that you can use your right hand for things without the sudden loss of power that you'd experience otherwise. You can adjust your jacket zipper, your chin strap, your GPS or phone. You can point at scenery or signal your fellow riders.

All in all, I give it two thumbs up! :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
For the budget-minded among us, the N.E.P. throttle lock works perfectly, and costs much less.

Thumb lever on/off, holds well and is easy to override if you adjust the set-screw correctly.

1690818195155.png

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
For the budget-minded among us, the N.E.P. throttle lock works perfectly, and costs much less.

Thumb lever on/off, holds well and is easy to override if you adjust the set-screw correctly.

1690818195155.png
Larry, bought my first motorcycle September 1979...a new GL 1000. On my first road trip weeks later, my meet up guys all had what I believe is / was the throttle lock you referenced. So trick.....so simple....and as you stated....work perfectly when 'set up.' Yes, I did purchase one back in the day....was not 'cheap.' maybe change back from $5.00? Ahhh.....the olden daze.

Top Bottom