Laminar Lip success

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
When I purchased my ST, installed was a Clearview tall windscreen. I hated that. The airflow hit me smack in the middle of my helmet. Ducking down improved things, nice quiet pocket, but now I was forced to look through the windscreen, and there was so little airflow the helmet shield had the be left open, and it was hot. Sitting up made it worse. Box of parts included with the sale had the old stock windscreen and I found a used Laminar Lip here on the board that looks new. So I installed the stock windscreen and the Laminar Lip with Duo Locks and exactly to the directions. Wow, unbelievable! Both the stock and Clearview produced plenty of buffeting and wind noise. The Laminar Lip reduced the noise and buffeting by at least 90%. The difference is shocking! It's like a different motorcycle. And yet, somehow there is clean airflow over me and the helmet. Dunno how they did it, but the Laminar Lip is worth every penny.

RT

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
The shape of the Laminar Lip makes it an airfoil that redirects the airflow over your head. For 11 years, I have been very happy with the stock ST1100 shield with the Lip installed.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Good to here you found a solution rw. I am not fully satisfied with my windscreen. It came with a National Cycle screen that offers good protection and no annoying turbulence, however it is taller than stock 4 to 6 in. ?. That puts the top directly in my line of sight when relaxed. peering over and under. Your solution may work for me, May I ask your height. I am 5'10 23/28ths.

Bike
04 ST1300
When I purchased my ST, installed was a Clearview tall windscreen. I hated that. The airflow hit me smack in the middle of my helmet. Ducking down improved things, nice quiet pocket, but now I was forced to look through the windscreen, and there was so little airflow the helmet shield had the be left open, and it was hot. Sitting up made it worse. Box of parts included with the sale had the old stock windscreen and I found a used Laminar Lip here on the board that looks new. So I installed the stock windscreen and the Laminar Lip with Duo Locks and exactly to the directions. Wow, unbelievable! Both the stock and Clearview produced plenty of buffeting and wind noise. The Laminar Lip reduced the noise and buffeting by at least 90%. The difference is shocking! It's like a different motorcycle. And yet, somehow there is clean airflow over me and the helmet. Dunno how they did it, but the Laminar Lip is worth every penny.

RT
At what position (height) do you keep your stock shield with the laminar installed.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I installed a new Laminar Lip on a V-Stream windshield last year , I heated & bent a little , towards the ends of the Laminar Lip to fit the different contour shape of the V-Stream . Shield about halfway up , I'm 6'3"-( at least I used to be :biggrin: )

OP
OP

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The shield is a stock ST1100 unit. They are not adjustable like an ST1300. I'm 6ft tall with 32" inseam. Previous Clearview cut right through my line of sight. The Laminar Lip is installed per instructions. It's about 1inch higher than stock shield that's behind it and spaced off about an inch. Essentially I can just slide my hand between until the knuckles hit. Hope that helps.

RT

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The Laminar Lip reduced the noise and buffeting by at least 90%. The difference is shocking! It's like a different motorcycle. And yet, somehow there is clean airflow over me and the helmet. Dunno how they did it, but the Laminar Lip is worth every penny.
Exactly my experience...
When I first got the ST, I absolutely hated looking through the windscreen, but couldn't handle riding with it down at speed. So I decided to try the Lip:
I have had the Lip on my stock windscreen for 8 years now, and wouldn't ride without it - totally transformed the bike :thumb: .
I ride, always, with the windscreen fully down at all speeds to 85 +.
Almost no air blows on my face, it all goes up and over my head.,
The bike also handles better because it is more aerodynamic which also gives a slight boost to gas mileage.
Now, I only raise the windscreen to clean it. (which I don't have to do often, because I never look through it ! )
Definitely worth every penny. :biggrin: .

Last edited:

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
This will also work for a stock ST1100 windscreen:

Bike
2021 KTM 890 Adventu
I use the Laminar Lip on my NT700 stock shield. It perfected the airflow for me. I tested it using the duo- lock velcro tabs. I used the supplied hardware after I was confident that I had it in the right spot. Mine cost $110. They will include the plastic screws for free if requested. It is easy to remove for cleaning.

OP
OP

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Update:
For some reason, I started messing with the Laminar Lip. I had it adjusted about 1inch up from the top of the factory screen. Curiosity set in and I split the Duo Lock, and moved it down, so the top of the Lip is the same height at the stock screen. About a 1" airgap between the two. Amazingly, the result was even less buffeting, now there is none, and my helmet is in clean air. Entirely counterintuitive, but it works even better and the forward visibility is better. The Laminar Lip just works.

RT

Has anyone tried the laminar lip with a Givi windscreen on the ST1100? I haven't that combo mentioned in this forum. Input appreciated.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
Got one on my outfit, with standard Honda screen. First fitted 2006. Works extremely well with the standard screen, you just have to play around with it to find the optimum height. Oh yes, once you have found the right position it's worth securing it with a small screw on either side. I'm now on my 2nd Lip as my first disappeared after hitting a really bad pothole at speed on one of our motorways. Went flying over my head, never to be seen again :) I'm 6'2" so you can see the position I've found in the attached photo. As an aside I fitted a German made MRA screen to my solo https://www.mrashop.de/com/model-based-products/honda/st-1100/bj-90-01/5924/st-1100-pan-european-varioscreen-vm-1990-2001?number=I4025066075867. Works equally as well (has a split screen adjustment).

DSC_0260.JPG

I just purchased a used laminar lip for honda st1100 from eBay.

It came with slides for adjustment of the hight of the lip.

Has anyone seen this type of mounting? Or have instructions for mounting the lip on st1100?

Thank you!
Tim

Attachments

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have written before about how surprisingly well my LL works, on my oem st13 windscreen. The airflow is noticeably more Laminar,, go figure. Mounting is about level,, and has just used 4 duo-loks,, same as supplied. Being happy with the current positioning,,, I decided to make it easier to remove and replace the LL, for cleaning. So grabbed the drill,, and carefully put a 1/4" hole right thru the LL and the oem screen, on each side, half way between the duo-lok pads. Then,, took the LL off,, cleaned everything and installed a plastic license plate bolt and nut into each drilled hole on the LL. This allows the LL to be replaced in exactly the same spot. In fact,,, that is only place it will mount now. I also have a couple of acorn nuts that could be used when desired. Those are more for security while traveling,,, as the LL is not likely to ever come off accidentally. This has been a helpful mod' for the coming bug season. And,,, I plan to keep using the LL for the foreseeable,, as it just works so well. I will try to post a photo or two, tomorrow,,, cheers,, CAt !!

okay,, sorry it took me so long to add the photo. You can see that the plastic nut is between the LL and the windscreen. I will trim the plastic bolt a bit,, so that the optional acorn nut turns down to just contact the inside of the oem windscreen.
20240504_185500.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom