Latest Tyre 8.0 Route Planner-Google Maps API key-Garmin Issues

Bike
2007 ST1300
Tyre recently required users to obtain a Google Maps API key which I did last week. I can create custom routes in Tyre Pro, as done before, but when I copy the gpx file to my Garmin nuvi 2555LM or nuvi 2597LMT, it no longer recognizes the waypoints and takes me on a direct route not the planned route. If the ride is a loop the Garmin will immediately send me to the start of the route
I've had a dialogue with Tyre support and gone through various file setting changes to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
I'm planning several routes for a vacation in a few weeks and would like reliable routes in my gps

I did see ReStored's thread about a Tyre-Gamin issue in May 2019, but I think this issue is different

Just as an FYI I upgraded my Tyre to V8 last week and GPX files get downloaded properly will all waypoints my 2555LMT

Just as an FYI I upgraded my Tyre to V8 last week and GPX files get downloaded properly will all waypoints my 2555LMT
They download ok to my garmin but when you start the route the Garmin doesn't follow the planned route. Have you gone on a ride and used a planned route?

They download ok to my garmin but when you start the route the Garmin doesn't follow the planned route. Have you gone on a ride and used a planned route?

Yes, I used 2 downloaded routes last week and each of the waypoints were handled properly by my Garmin

Not sure if this is related or not but I use My Route App which used to be Tyre. I just discovered with my new Garmin Zumo purchase that when saving/downloading the route there is two types of GPX file called GPX 1.0 & 1.1.
The GPX 1.1 which I used when I had a Nuvi worked great with all waypoints always included. When I used the 1.1 for the Zumo it did the same exact thing as your experiencing. It only had Start and End with no waypoints. I was instructed to use the 1.0 type for the Zumo and I now have all waypoints.

I hope you get it figured out!

Skip

Quick Answer: I would guess that you chose the end destination when asked to 'Select Next Destination'. You need to select the Start of the route.

Long Answer:

A pure guess this, and I may be completely wrong - but there's a pretty good chance that I am right, so read on..... You may have fallen foul of the Garmin 'Gotcha'. I don't know the 2597, but I just downloaded the manual and see it has the Trip Planner App like the later Zumos. When you start a route, the ones that I know ask you to 'Select Next Destination'. Only Via Points are listed plus the start and finish points. If the route consists entirely of Shaping points, as it does if transferred from MyRouteApp GPX version 1.1 - then only the start and finish are listed. And sometimes the start point is scrolled off the top of the screen, so you don't even realise that it is there.

So this is the logic you almost certainly use: I don't want to go to the start point. I am already there. So you choose the end point.

That is the wrong thing to do. The Garmin is thinking that you are not at the point where you want to start the route. It thinks that you may have done some of it already, so it is expecting to be able to list a number of key points as well as the start and finish. Say the bottom of a mountain pass, the point away from a city centre where you intend to start after having lunch. That sort of thing. You can then specify one of these mid points in the route. The satnav will find its own way from where you are now, to that point - and then start navigating the route from there. In other words, it skips all of the routing points that are on the saved route up to the point that you select.

So if you say "I don't want to go to the start point. I am already there. So you choose the end point.", Your'e actually telling the satnav to miss out all of the routing points and start navigating the route from the end point. Which is why you end up not following any of the points that you plotted - it just does its own thing.

You will tear your hair out with this one - cursing the satnav for doing this. But there is one very easy fix. When choosing your routing points - eg a coffee stop, make sure you put one in for a point a couple of miles after the coffee stop (either instead of, or as well as). I label these as 'Coffee Stop Exit', and put them on a road that I know I definitely want to take.

If I then need to make such a choice, no matter where I end up after a coffee stop (in the middle of a town; diverted by roadworks etc) as a last resort I can always restart the route, choose 'Coffee Stop Exit' as the next destination and know that the satnav will will get me to the start of the next leg of my journey.

And never, ever, put a start point at the start of your route. Put it as the first point on the main route somewhere after your start. And always choose the start point as your next destination. The satnav will navigate you to your start point and then continue navigating all of the routing points from there onwards.

As I said - I don't know the 2597, but I do have a lot of experience with the trip planner app on the Zumo 590 and 595. It would be good to know whether this is indeed what has happened in your case. If so I have a very detailed document in the following link - written for the Zumo 590, for use with Basecamp. But it is easy to sift out the stuff that is only relevant to the trip planner app. In particular it goes on about the differences between Via Points and Shaping Points and why not knowing about the difference is going to make your life a misery !

nb - If I am wrong about the above, post or send me a copy of the GPX file. I'll see if I can work out what is going wrong for you.
Thanks for the detailed explanation-much appreciated. There are a couple of key points that you mention that I know I'm doing incorrectly. I'll have another go at planning a route and let you know

I followed your instructions and made up a test loop this morning for the nuvi 2597LMT and it worked like a charm. I still need to try my nuvi 2555 but I I'm optimistic it will be ok too. Thanks John for your help-greatly appreciated!!

ReSTored. Thanks for your offer to take screen shots of the Tyre settings but I think John has my route planning sorted out

Back
Top Bottom