LED Lights install

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Hi All. I have two questions. I have a 93 ST100. I am swapping over to led bulbs. I have read the articles here, and followed directions (at least I think so). I can get the bulb to seat but I cannot for the the life of me get the retaining clip to hook agian. The bezele on the new light is considerably thicker than the halogen light I'm replacing, and the shim also adds depth to the bezel. So my question is could it just be too thick for the clip to hook?

My second question comes as I realizes the foam around the headlight no longer has any integrity, as it is falling off as I work on it. Has anyone replaced this and if so how bad is it?

Thanks

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
OK so next question. I removed the 4 bolts that hold in the headlight (Well 3 in my case apparently missing one) but the headlight assembly seems to be till attached what am i missing?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The headlight assembly 'rests' on two rubber bushings on the fairing stay.
If you gently pry the two upper fairings apart, it will slide right out.
But the two bolts that John talked about need to be removed.
They are way up beside the headlight.
BTW, once I take those bolts out, I never out them back - which makes future upper fairing removals much easier. ;)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Did you check to see if the LED bulb assembly unscrews into two parts? Mine did and was much easier.
Mine, too. My pics show the flanges in place. They are indeed thicker than OEM bulbs by themselves.

Once I got the housing out, I could see that I never would have gotten the wires back under the clips.

I had to re-shape the wires and the clips to make them work with the thickness of the flanges and rings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Ok I give up. What is holding the headlight in? Removed all the bolts front end is half disassembled and that headlight acts like it's screwed into the the cage under the fairing. It will twist back and forth. Like it is bolted at the center. I can't believe I haven't broken it I have prayed and pulled so hard. Help!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have you removed the upper fairing bolts on each side of the headlight way up in there?
You have to remove the fairing pockets to get to them then it takes a looooong extension and IIRC 10mm socket.
It's 35 on the fiche with the red arrow pointing to it.
If all of the bolts are out, the headlight is 'resting' on two rubber bushings - one on each side.
Be aware also of the headlight adjustment cable which could be holding it back a little.
ST1100 Upper Fairing Bolt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Thank you Phil for your help as always. I finally gave up and just pulled the upper faring. Once I saw it I now understand how it works. Anyways yes I had all the bolts out it was I just couldn't get the fairing forward enough to get it out. 15 mins once I had it out. Since the weather here sucks guess I will clean and check everything under there. See you at Ferry STOC.

Brian

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm glad you got it - I've been there and it is very frustrating as you don't want to break anything but you hate to have to remove a bunch of stuff.
You can get the upper fairings off without removing the lower fairings - and vice versa.
The 'deal' is the two screws in the 'down slope' at the back.
You just need a stubby JIS screw driver, gentle lifting and a little patience. ;)
As I said, I leave those two hard to get bolts out of the upper fairing.
That way all the other upper fairing bolts are 'external' and reasonably easy to get to.
And I've got hundreds of thousands of miles with them out with no issues.

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Actually mine is non abs so I have some room. I actually got them out from the underneath with a 1/4 inch and an extension. Didn't find that part hard. Lol.

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I just installed my LED headlights into my 93, using the adapter ring and grinding the tabs off the new H4's like many people do. The bulbs seemed to go in fine and are tight after I finally got those darned clips hooked back in. However, even with my height adjustment knob all the way to the "down" position the light pattern seems way too high. (e.g. it throws way down the road and doesn't really light up the road just in front of me). Anyone else have this issue? Fixes??

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Are you sure the lights are sitting flat? I think there is also an orientation concerning the aluminum housing at the end of the light. Pointing right or left.
PM Spiderman. He's the lighting guru.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just installed my LED headlights into my 93, using the adapter ring and grinding the tabs off the new H4's like many people do. The bulbs seemed to go in fine and are tight after I finally got those darned clips hooked back in. However, even with my height adjustment knob all the way to the "down" position the light pattern seems way too high. (e.g. it throws way down the road and doesn't really light up the road just in front of me). Anyone else have this issue? Fixes??
I found you have to bend those pesky clips or they press against the LED bases and put the light in the wrong place.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
So the $2M questions are.... are you happy with the looks in the day and with the performance in the dark?

Top Bottom