Lifting It??

hojo70

Friend To All Bikers
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I've got an 07 ST1300 and want to lift it. I am interested in the HF Lightweight Aluminum Motorcycle Lift but after looking at the bottom of my ST I am not sure there is any frame support to leverage it.

Is there a safe way to do it, or do I have to get a platform lift? The platform lift is nice but takes too much room in my shop. I like the idea of being able to hang the aluminum lift from the wall when not in use.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
HJ, if you search for "lift oil pan" or similar on this site, you'll get a ton of matches where people are lifting there bike just as you want to do. I personally haven't done it, but I'd have no problem doing so if I had such a lift.
:)

Byron

STOC #
The bottom of the engine is finned and not wanting to break any I made a support out of 3/4" plywood and a piece of 2 x 4. Cut the plywood wide enough side to side so all the fins can rest on it. Make it long enough to reach from the center stand support to the front of the engine. Don't worry if the lower faring touches it as it will not break. While holding it against the bottom of the engine measure the distance to the center stand support boss. Cut a piece of the 2 x 4 to length and then trim height to the measurement you got earlier. Now just screw it into position on one end of the plywood and you have your support.

With the bike on the side stand, don't forget to move your drain lines, hold thee support in position and slide your Jack under. The position of your Jack is important so the bike will be balanced. Remember that the rear will lose more weight if you remove the tire and/or bags. Start jacking slowly and pulling lightly on the right grip and the bike will straighten up and be supported by the Jack. Double check everything before taking the bike up any further.

You can tie it off using the crash bars under the tip over wings.

There are some pictures of what others have done and the piece I made is on page two of this thread.

I hope this helps.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Like you I was accustomed to thinking that a mc lift would be handy (had one for both Wings, the 1100RT, and the VTX). So I bought one (the Sears aluminum 1500lb capacity lift). But before I used it the first time I discovered that there was very little -- if anything -- that I couldn't do on the miSTress while up on the center stand.

Sold the jack before its first use...
:eek::

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I've got one of the generic lifts of a similar type. I'll line up the rearward of the two lift members directly under the center stand pivot with a piece of 2x4 lumber between the lift and the centerstand. I use a piece of 1x2 lumber on the front lift cross member that contacts the pan. Cut your wood so they don't extend out too far and contact the lower hanging sides.

Set it all up with the bike on the side stand. You then have to straighten the bike up and pump the lift a few times to get it up underneath and making contact. Then go ahead and lift. Comes up pretty well balanced and I've never had a problem. I put a tiedown strap on each side, from the tipover bar (cover removed) to a low point on the jack, for added stability after it's lifted.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
There are also designs available for a work table that you roll/drive your ST up onto. Some of them will disassemble into several individual cut pieces of plywood and store flat when not in use.
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,47736.0.html
Having said all that...I decided that the safest route was the roll-on lift. Bought one at HF on-sale before Christmas for about $280, if memory serves.

Top Bottom