Lithium Batteries

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
Anyone using Lithium batteries?

They look good to me. Cost about 30 to 50% more than lead acid batteries, but last 2 to 3 times longer. They lose about 1% of power in 4 months (winter storage).
When you store them in the winter just unhook the neg. lead and that's it. Don't take it out of the bike. It is not effected by cold weather. No need to charge it at all. When you hook it up in the spring is has 99% of it's power left!

( I now take my batteries out each fall ) and store them in the basement on a trickle charger.
If you have 4 bikes (like I do) that is a real pain in the ---.

They last 2 to 3 times as long as lead acid batteries.

Even with all my care for my batteries, (take out a put in warm basement) and keep on trickle charges all winter. Then reinstall in the spring and keep on trickle charger all summer as I can't ride all the bikes all the time so their batteries keep going down if I don't keep them on a trickle charger.

No need to do that with the Lithium batteries. Never have to put them on the trickle charger. You just have to use them a few time a year and they are always to go.

You do have to make sure they never get below 11 v or they are dead. (DEAD FOREVER)

So you do have to keep them aboue 11V. But if you use them once a year. That's enough!

I would like to hear from anyone who has a history with Lithium batteries.

Thanks in advance. CK

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've only had the 1 on my Super T. It's been in use since March 2018 with no problems.
I don't charge in the Winter/Storage months, because I'm in the South and ride several times each week (unless we have severe weather). It never sits too long.
Different subject, but I did put a AGM battery on my RZR awhile back and it only lasted 1 year.
The strange thing about Lithium, if cold winter and battery seems somewhat weak, put a load on it for a bit to warm battery and try again :shrug1:
I think I payed $135 for mine and it came with a charger, not supposed to use just any charger for Lithium.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm using one. Advantages: My bike accelerates faster and is easier to pick up in a tip over. But I am not so sure it is the wonder it is made out to be. For storage mine says to discharge it to 60% of a full charge and the cold starting problem is a bit unsettling - tho it has worked every time I have needed it to. I decided not to put a Li batt in my V Strom - went with good old Pb/acid.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
My ST13 had a Shorai lithium battery in it... and I grew to hate it. I ride in winter months, and that battery wouldn't generate enough power on a cold morning to pull the slack out of your underwear. I tried the "put a load on it" routine, and after 2-3 minutes the battery would be nearly dead. I used the Shorai charger religiously, but that battery was just no good below 50 degrees. I finally replaced it with a virgin Yuasa AGM battery, and all is right with the world.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My ST13 had a Shorai lithium battery in it... and I grew to hate it. I ride in winter months, and that battery wouldn't generate enough power on a cold morning to pull the slack out of your underwear. I tried the "put a load on it" routine, and after 2-3 minutes the battery would be nearly dead. I used the Shorai charger religiously, but that battery was just no good below 50 degrees. I finally replaced it with a virgin Yuasa AGM battery, and all is right with the world.
I did not have the problems you did, but then I store my bike in my garage which is kept to 40 deg F because of plumbing lines in the walls. I start my bike once a month and each time I did have to wait about 30 sec to a minute before I could start it. Once it would not start the 1300 - I charged it up w my Shorai charger and it worked after that. But, the battery and special charger cost the better part of two bills. Expensive way to save a couple of pounds.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Using one one, was two, and use them for camping. Works good. You do need to upsize, especially if riding in cold weather. I've had my bike at -5° F and did a cold start.

As far as discharging to 60% for storage, I call hog-wash. If that's the best way to store them then why do we overcharge them by 40% every day while riding? Long term storage is the name of the game no matter what you are doing with them.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I got my ST in Aug. of '18, and It needed a battery, so I got an AGM from Walmart. I slow-charged it before installing it, and it hasn't been charged or jumped since. This past was the second winter it sat under cover outdoors for about three months, and it started right up as if it had been ridden the day before.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I use them. Have always been reliable. Plenty of energetic starting power when left on the shelf. I left the one from my ST for 10 weeks, fully charged and it retained its voltage very well. In my FJR with their tricky tight battery compartment, the Lithium’s ‘next to nothing’ weight was a bonus too. The battery in the FJR is placed very high so the lightness is further beneficial Re CoG.
I cannot honestly say they are better than a highest quality lead/acid but I will keep buying them.
D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've got one in my Super Tenere. My main concern was the extra cranking amps. These Teneres are notoriously slow cranking and don't start reliably without a battery in top shape. My ST1300 was not so demanding and I never worried about it starting with an AGM battery. When I had the OEM battery in the Yamaha however, I always crossed my toes and held my tongue just right when starting from cold. This Scorpion Li, by contrast, cranks really vigorously. The only time I charged it was when it was initially delivered as they ship them only partially charged (I think 30%) for safety reasons The longest I've let the bike sit has been about 4 weeks and the coldest temperature I've started it in was about 40F. No problems in either case and cranked like I'd just ridden it yesterday. I can't yet speak to longevity as I've only had the battery installed for about 16 months so far. The exact battery part number shown in the photo also fits the ST1300.Installed.jpgInstalled.jpg

Bike
09 ST1300A
Anyone using Lithium batteries?

They look good to me. Cost about 30 to 50% more than lead acid batteries, but last 2 to 3 times longer. They lose about 1% of power in 4 months (winter storage).
When you store them in the winter just unhook the neg. lead and that's it. Don't take it out of the bike. It is not effected by cold weather. No need to charge it at all. When you hook it up in the spring is has 99% of it's power left!

( I now take my batteries out each fall ) and store them in the basement on a trickle charger.
If you have 4 bikes (like I do) that is a real pain in the ---.

They last 2 to 3 times as long as lead acid batteries.

Even with all my care for my batteries, (take out a put in warm basement) and keep on trickle charges all winter. Then reinstall in the spring and keep on trickle charger all summer as I can't ride all the bikes all the time so their batteries keep going down if I don't keep them on a trickle charger.

No need to do that with the Lithium batteries. Never have to put them on the trickle charger. You just have to use them a few time a year and they are always to go.

You do have to make sure they never get below 11 v or they are dead. (DEAD FOREVER)

So you do have to keep them aboue 11V. But if you use them once a year. That's enough!

I would like to hear from anyone who has a history with Lithium batteries.

Thanks in advance. CK
See my link above: Shorai - Pushing my luck ?
Or search: Shorai batteries under st-owners "Batteries", there is a lot of info here on the subject.
As you can see I've had excellent perfprmance from my Shorai and am very impressed

Top Bottom