Lithium Ion Polymer Motorcycle Battery

Battery technology seems to be improving rapidly within the last few years. I have a buddy that use to worked at the department of Defence on various battery technologies which were used in certain weapons. He's hinted more then once that they had very impressive batteries back 10 years ago, so I can only imagine what they have now. He's retired now. I've asked him a few times to be more specific but apparently these programs were classified.

The gentlement in the video said they were using department of defence technology in this motorcycle battery. What I don't understand is why some of this technology isn't released to the automotive companies. One can only wonder what kind of hybrid Detroit could come up with. Saving the federal government from pouring Billions more into the sinking ship at GM.

Which raises the question: Can the federal Government sell technology to our manufacturing industies??

Last edited:
Happens all the time. The fed develops something using public money, patents it and then licences it to industry. Sometimes these licensing terms can be a bargain.

What I don't understand is why some of this technology isn't released to the automotive companies.

Which raises the question: Can the federal Government sell technology to our manufacturing industies??

fwiw NASA's tech transfer LINK etc.

This part is kinda interesting
"BAR HOPPING & CHARGING - When a vehicle starts, a large amount of energy is drained from a typical battery. Regular batteries take a few minutes (sometimes 10 minutes to recharge the battery from the engine), and typically can only last a few quick stops. Our battery recharges very fast (about 15 seconds) and therefore is not likely to ever eliminate the reserves in the battery allowing unlimited numbers of bar-hopping. "

Prices on these batteries are going to driven by the cost of supplies, cost/availability of manufacturing facilities and demand. Right now you aren't going to find very many people that will be willing to spend $800 for a motorcycle battery that is only good for 5 years. There are just too many cheaper alternatives. However, if the price was $100 then demand would soon go away for the alternative (AGM, lead acid) batteries.

fwiw NASA's tech transfer LINK etc.

This part is kinda interesting
"BAR HOPPING & CHARGING - When a vehicle starts, a large amount of energy is drained from a typical battery. Regular batteries take a few minutes (sometimes 10 minutes to recharge the battery from the engine), and typically can only last a few quick stops. Our battery recharges very fast (about 15 seconds) and therefore is not likely to ever eliminate the reserves in the battery allowing unlimited numbers of bar-hopping. "

You would think someone would have caught that and substituted the word "Restaurant" for "Bar Hoping". Truth be known I think bar hopping is probably more accurate........

Don't think their target audience is gonna shell out that many clams.
That'$ a lot or air beer and dunkin dollars to pony up. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom