Locked rear tire

On the week I was riding through some hills and curves and when I swift down to 3rd on about 30-35 miles the bike went to a complete stop. Felt like I pressed hard the rear break. After a few minutes trying to figure out what happed i noticed the rear tire completely locked. The front tire was fine. After a 15-20 of dealing with the issue I felt the rear tire was free again so we jumped on the bike and ride for 5-10 min and the rear tire locked again. Checked again and after 15-20 the rear tire was free again. I was able to ride.. at first I went slow up to 3erd gear... After a while i put some more speed and gears and was able to get home safely after about 80-90 miles. I have been riding many years and never have experienced this situation. Is this normal, something dangerly wrong, should I take the bike to the mechanic? Any comments.

Hi @Boricua23 and welcome to the forum! :welcome1: :canflag1:

That is definitely NOT normal.

Like Mellow said the SMC on the front is likely the issue and causing the rear to lock up.

Please have it looked at as soon as possible and don't drive the bike with it locking up.

I agree with Mellow, the SMC is the most likely culprit. DO NOT ride it until it's diagnosed and fixed !!

thanks for your responses and comments. Just to clarify. You mention FRONT LEFT CALIPER could cause a lock in the REAR tire?

Yes, you'll see the difference between the front left and right, there's a cylinder that gets activated when the front brakes are applied activating the rear brake - part of the linked braking system. However, water and corrosion can cause it to stick, causing the rear brake to stick.

thanks for your responses and comments. Just to clarify. You mention FRONT LEFT CALIPER could cause a lock in the REAR tire?

Just be clear ... the SMC is itself a separate component from the left caliper. So, technically, the SMC is at fault, not the caliper.

In the image below, we see the right caliper and the left caliper with the SMC attached. So, the caliper engages the SMC (when front brake is applied), which in turn pushes fluid to the rear caliper. But it's a well known fact that the SMC gets stuck and locks the rear

But you have John's great article on the SMC, provided by Mellow, so you're on the road to recovery :thumb:

1676307328996.png

Last edited:
That's exactly why there was a new SMC this winter and because I was just about to, also renewed everything from rubber, which is at the brake caliper halt so.
Holm from Germany

Attachments

• K800_DSCN0420.JPG
    K800_DSCN0420.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 34
  • K800_DSCN0421.JPG
    K800_DSCN0421.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 31
  • K800_DSCN0424.JPG
    K800_DSCN0424.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 30
  • K800_DSCN0426.JPG
    K800_DSCN0426.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 29
Not normal, but normal for these bikes. Annual brake fluid flushing is a good thing. (Yes, yearly, again not normal :) ) You're not the first and won't be the last. Lots of information in the article sections. Good luck!

Your mechanic will also need to know the correct procedure for installing the rear wheel, and to inspect the rear caliper mounting bracket.
He will need to tighten the caliper stopper bolt BEFORE he tightens the axle nut, or it may cause issues etc.
Nice job cleaning everything.

Back
Top Bottom