Madstad windshield or.......

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Forgive me, I rarely post here. I went down the rabbit hole looking for windshield perfection. Tall Clearview, came with bike, hated it, was looking through the top edge. It cut too much wind and still buffeted enough to annoy me. Stock shield, no bueno. Stock shield with Laminar Lip, much, much better. 3" cutdown stock shield with Laminar Lip, great for hot weather, but some buffeting. Madstad, had to go through some "rework" to get it all to bolt up correctly. Madstad made it right. Madstad cuts the air nicely, almost too well. Tried narrowing the "barn door" windshield, 1" each side, and ended with annoying buffeting on arms. This may go away with another decrease in width. I stopped experimenting at this point.

I noticed that if I lean/sit forward with the Madstad there is an area with MUCH cleaner air, a bubble. As it is currently setup the windshield seems to sit too far forward. On bikes that are designed from the factory to have a detached type windshield, I believe this is factored in and the windshield sits closer to the rider. This is not an option obviously on the ST. I was looking for the best compromise, a good solution for warm and cold riding. Didn't quite get there.

I ended up with a full Laminar Lip windshield and lip. Its a very different profile than the add-on lip with a stock, or other aftermarket shield. This setup works best for me. Very little buffeting at relatively high cruise speeds. I may experiment with the Madstad, cut down some more, but the shorty stocker with Laminar Lip also works for summer.

RT

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
It's already been said, but I'll just add my 2 cents... Try an extension like a Laminar Lip or similar. I have used them on several stock shields on different bikes over the years, and they have always helped tremendously reduce buffeting.

OP
OP
Mykllee
Bike
98 Honda ST1100
I don't have experience with the Madstad on the 1100, but I have one on my Tracer 900. It is by far the cleanest air I've had on any bike with a tall shield. Better than my 1300 with a V-Stream and better than my Goldwing.
I'll second that they are very good people to work with.
Forgive me, I rarely post here. I went down the rabbit hole looking for windshield perfection. Tall Clearview, came with bike, hated it, was looking through the top edge. It cut too much wind and still buffeted enough to annoy me. Stock shield, no bueno. Stock shield with Laminar Lip, much, much better. 3" cutdown stock shield with Laminar Lip, great for hot weather, but some buffeting. Madstad, had to go through some "rework" to get it all to bolt up correctly. Madstad made it right. Madstad cuts the air nicely, almost too well. Tried narrowing the "barn door" windshield, 1" each side, and ended with annoying buffeting on arms. This may go away with another decrease in width. I stopped experimenting at this point.

I noticed that if I lean/sit forward with the Madstad there is an area with MUCH cleaner air, a bubble. As it is currently setup the windshield seems to sit too far forward. On bikes that are designed from the factory to have a detached type windshield, I believe this is factored in and the windshield sits closer to the rider. This is not an option obviously on the ST. I was looking for the best compromise, a good solution for warm and cold riding. Didn't quite get there.

I ended up with a full Laminar Lip windshield and lip. Its a very different profile than the add-on lip with a stock, or other aftermarket shield. This setup works best for me. Very little buffeting at relatively high cruise speeds. I may experiment with the Madstad, cut down some more, but the shorty stocker with Laminar Lip also works for summer.

RT
Good information! Looking at the Laminar website, they have great testimonials. I am surprised their ST1100 combo is about the same price as the Madstad. They do have a good 30 day return policy though. Something to consider. And it helps to know the Madstad cuts the air well. Thanks for going down that rabbit hole!

OP
OP
Mykllee
Bike
98 Honda ST1100
Update: In searching the posts on windscreens, I had seen someone who's about my height had bought the National Cycle windscreen and had said it put the wind over his helmet. So thinking this could work for me and at a decent price, I ordered one. Sadly, it was just livable on the streets but awful at highway speeds.

So the order for the Madstad is in, and I'll report back.......hopefully the fitment issues some of you experienced last August have been resolved by Madstad.
Also, they currently have a 10% off storewide sale, if anyone is interested.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...it put the wind over his helmet.
Which could cause some issue when riding in the rain...
Drizzle (or spray from other vehicles ahead) adhere to the visor, requiring frequent wipe... in some situations you might not have a free left hand at that moment...
In addition the helmet vents won't work, so anything around the pin-lock fogs up (plus the sensation of almost suffocating...)
I choose my screen height so I still have some air-flow on the visor (and top vent), whilst it still protects my face from (most) insects and gravel hits...

Bike
ST1100
trimmed ST1300 windshield mounted on a base shield in Mastad’s recommended range of angle of attack
When I had to replace stock screen, I thought if is it possible to attach 1300 screen to my 1100l, but decided that it is not. Finally, bought national cycle 20' screen and had to install additional lip to cut the buffeting.
Pic of your ST with 1300 screen would be appreciated, interesting to see the result)

OP
OP
Mykllee
Bike
98 Honda ST1100
Which could cause some issue when riding in the rain...
Drizzle (or spray from other vehicles ahead) adhere to the visor, requiring frequent wipe... in some situations you might not have a free left hand at that moment...
In addition the helmet vents won't work, so anything around the pin-lock fogs up (plus the sensation of almost suffocating...)
I choose my screen height so I still have some air-flow on the visor (and top vent), whilst it still protects my face from (most) insects and gravel hits...
Good points about the airflow. I've always had smaller windshields giving me air, but non buffeting air. Had the National Cycle worked at giving me a pocket, it would have been the first for me. I'm pretty confident the Madstad will give me what I'm looking for, with the ability to adjust for airflow as needed. It will be worth the price to stop my eyeballs from rattling in their sockets.

OP
OP
Mykllee
Bike
98 Honda ST1100
As a follow up, I received the Madstad windshield. The only hiccup with installation was some confusion because of the instructions, which need a little updating as the washers and screws had changed. A quick call to Madstad and they put me on the right path....not a big deal. I had zero fitment issues, which was a relief after reading what some of you had gone through.

So I set the 22" windshield up at its lowest height, and at Madstads 60 degree suggested starting angle, and......wow, night and day difference! No buffeting, a LOT quieter, and I could ride along with my face shield open no problem. Honestly, I could leave it at that and be happy, but of course I'll be playing around with the adjustments anyway. I like that there is still plenty of airflow, but not at the helmet. This has worked out well. Thanks for all the input!IMG_1406.jpg

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
I also discovered that inexpensive add on spoiler which works well for me. Easily transfers from my cut down summer shield to my winter shield. However the plastic adjusting hardware didn't pass the test of time. I had to break out the tie wraps yesterday to keep it together. Seeing how it's been mostly raining today I made a trip to the hardware store and invested in an experiment. I lose my adjustability but I was able to mount it permanently close to where I had it.
As far as Madstad goes I love it on my Goldwing. No need for ear plugs when on my Wing anymore!
I attached a photo before the plastic hardware gave out and after. Hopefully it works out.

Attachments

RT

Any chance you wanna sell your Clearview? I'm al little taller, might work well for me......

Let me know....

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Just a note on Clearview for ST1100. The original and a 'flip' (bend) in it. Worked great for me (6ft) regarding buffetting. Several years go they altered it to an almost staight version. No good. At least for me. Needs an add-on spoiler to be of any use.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Just a note on Clearview for ST1100. The original and a 'flip' (bend) in it. Worked great for me (6ft) regarding buffetting. Several years go they altered it to an almost staight version. No good. At least for me. Needs an add-on spoiler to be of any use.
I had the clearview without the bend too. I think thats the way its gonna be

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Any chance you wanna sell your Clearview? I'm al little taller, might work well for me......

Let me know....
I'll have to look and see if I can find it, and what condition its in because honestly I just don't remember. Might not be worth you coin to ship it either. Standby.

Top Bottom