maintenance and road trip advice

If the coolant has been changed periodically as it should, then the water pump should be fine. The question is, has the timing belt been done? As for the alternator, if it is not leaking, and you are not going to overload it with lots of lights, other accessories, and heated gear, then it too may be Okay. That being said, others with pre-'96 machines can chime in... as I think the life of those alternators is a crap shoot...

The timing belt change is due at 90,000, I definitely agree that it should be swapped out if you don't know if it has been changed already.
I have done two and it can be done in a day (I took 2 :) ).

I'd wait until the alt fails to replace as they are expensive little buggers!

+1 on the timing belt. The Honda inspection limit suggestions are fine.....but.....relative to elastomerics, time is not your friend. The rest of your elasomers will simply leak some oil if age impacted. A timing belt failure can kill your ride.
On the alternator, inspect the primary connector. If it shows evidence of corrosion or heat damage, or is dirty....clean it up or replace it. This one item is responsible for more alternator failures than any other single part.
I am a new 1100 owner....a 1991 with only 17, 500 miles on it. It was ridden by the PO then garaged for 20 years. I have gone through the rear end...swing arm and final drive...inspecting and re-lubricating, checked the fuel system and brakes. NOTHING really needed attention. When I get all the parts in, I am going to replace the belt. Still agonizing over the water pump. I will pull the hoses while doing the belt and look for corrosion evidence, that will be the replace/keep decision point. NOTHING is leaking on this old bike, only the final drive breather cap showed any corrosion. All the hoses are clean and still pliable....I'm really impressed with the build quality of this bike.
But.. mine was stored inside and looks nearly new after a thorough clean up. Judge your preventative maintenance based on your bike's overall condition. If yours was well cared for and regularly serviced, it has lots of miles remaining.

Last edited:
Timing belt was replaced at 65k. All other maintenance had been done. Where is the connection for the alternator? Belt was checked at 103k and got a clean bill of health.

The belt will be fine until you get over 150,000 miles on the bike then...

Pull the seat and the Left side panel.
Follow the wires from the + battery terminal.
You see a spare fuse... check all the wires going into and out of the connectors in the area...

Back
Top Bottom