Metz Me800/Z6 combo??

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
I'm just wondering what the qualities are of combining the Z6 front, with the 880 rear?

I don't remember if I've ever used the Z6 before. Does that have a bit more stick than a marathon?
Is it suitably long wearing?

And is there a good protective vynil-ish product for the tank and inside of faring where your knees could contact?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry about all the posts...:D

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Buck,

This combination came with my bike and I've put the same on when I changed tires, as they handle great. (The front tire does howl a bit in the corners.) It may seem odd that you'd put a comination of different rated tires on, but I suppose the rear ME880 performs well enough to mate up to the Z6, and doesn't wear out too fast.

The Z6 is a ZR rated tire that Metzeler desribes as "Sport-touring radial tuned on the characteristics of modern bikes with outstanding performance in all weather conditions". The ME880 is a Z rated tire that Metzeler descibes as for "Cruiser and heavy touring bikes".

Running on dry roads, the bike just feels right and inspires confidence. I've also ridden the bike in the rain several times (Fred's RTE a.k.a. WetSTOC to Santa Ysabel most recently) and they performed well.

I've seen posts where someone was talking about putting ME880s front and rear. I believe Dana (dteel) just put on Z6s front & rear. The rear will likely be gone pretty fast as that is a very sticky tire. I know that he didn't like the Dunlops that he put on, and just replaced them already.

Rick

OP
OP
Computer Nerd

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
I have factory, or dealer installed Dunlops on right now. I'd describe what I think of them, but I dunno if you all allow that kind of language.

The Z6 isn't noisy all the time is it?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have factory, or dealer installed Dunlops on right now. I'd describe what I think of them, but I dunno if you all allow that kind of language.

The Z6 isn't noisy all the time is it?
All the tires I've run (BT020, Z6 and PR) all get noisy as they get older. The PRs start noisy, but I like how they handle especially in the wet. Ear plugs solve the tire hum issue.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I went through a full cycle of ME 880's front and rear. Long wearing, not so much in the sticky or handling department. I now have a 3000mi ME880 Rear and Avon 55 front (2000mi). So far, really good. I like the storm front so much I will probably put a rear on in it's time...about June or so.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
Rick was right about me changing out the Dunlops at the first opportunity. I really like the Metzlers. I changed out the Dunlops at a little less than 1000 miles. They will adorn my garage and never see the road again unless it's a tire/financial emergency, considering just selling them to the highest bidder.

My hearing is shot and I have to admit I've never heard a thing from the Z6s, you will have to rely on others about the noise. Can't imagine where it would overcome the wind roar.

The thing I like most about the Z6s is the confidence they give me in corners. They are very sticky. I got around 9000 miles on my last set. To me it is worth a little less mileage for the added benefit of traction. Just my 2 cents worth.

BigD

Road Scholar
I wish I got that mileage with the Z6's.
My rear at 7,000 miles. ---Clickey---> This happened 200 miles from home.
The front looked like it had another 1,000 miles at best. I changed them both to be safe. They both were scrubbed in 1/2 home. :-D

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
BigD, yep, that's exactly how mine looked 460 miles from home at DesertSTOC. One of the other riders brought it to my attention at breakfast the first morning. Now that I know what to look for, it won't happen again.

Even though the tread does not go through the center of the tire, you can see that it's worn almost to oblivion in several places. That's what I'm going to be looking for on this new set. That will be my clue to give Byron a call and line up a time and place to replace them (I love his NO-MAR tire changer, well and Byron is pretty cool too).

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've done 80,000kms in the last 14 months on 3 motorcycles... a 1985 BMW K100RT, a 03 ST1300 and my current 03 ST1300.

On the BMW I ended up with marathon front and rear which were ok in the dry but the rear tended to be a little skittish in the wet.

My first ST initially had the OEM bridgestone 020's which I wouldn't urinate on if they were on fire. These were changed out for a pair of Pirelli Roads which lasted less than a week before they were discarded. Since then, I have done over 60,000kms on Metzeler Z6's and I would not ride on anything else with this style of bike. Anyone that's seen my pics knows that I like to use the sport part of 'sport tourer' and my tyres show it. I never have to remove a carcass that has more tread left on the edges than is close to the centre. The Z6's are dual compound tyres, thus they had a firm section around the centre and softer compound out to the edges.

On a 300KG bike, I will not sacrifice grip (safety) to gain a few miles. If you're a straight line rider, and alot of you are judging from the various tyre photo's posted, then sure, the PR's or BT's are fine. But if you like to get off the bike and hang it through some corners then anything but the Z6 is gonna restrict the fun level at the benefit of a few cents...

that's my $0.01...

Me on the left.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've done 80,000kms in the last 14 months on 3 motorcycles... a 1985 BMW K100RT, a 03 ST1300 and my current 03 ST1300.

On the BMW I ended up with marathon front and rear which were ok in the dry but the rear tended to be a little skittish in the wet.

My first ST initially had the OEM bridgestone 020's which I wouldn't urinate on if they were on fire. These were changed out for a pair of Pirelli Roads which lasted less than a week before they were discarded. Since then, I have done over 60,000kms on Metzeler Z6's and I would not ride on anything else with this style of bike. Anyone that's seen my pics knows that I like to use the sport part of 'sport tourer' and my tyres show it. I never have to remove a carcass that has more tread left on the edges than is close to the centre. The Z6's are dual compound tyres, thus they had a firm section around the centre and softer compound out to the edges.

On a 300KG bike, I will not sacrifice grip (safety) to gain a few miles. If you're a straight line rider, and alot of you are judging from the various tyre photo's posted, then sure, the PR's or BT's are fine. But if you like to get off the bike and hang it through some corners then anything but the Z6 is gonna restrict the fun level at the benefit of a few cents...

that's my $0.01...
I ran out two sets of Metzeler Z6's and think the Z6 front/rear is a great tire for the ST1300, the best of the tires I tried so far for the way I ride. I ran OEM Bridgestone 020's then Michelin Pilot Roads before the Z6's and rank them in order of MY preference: Z6, PR's, then 020's but I was willing to give Avons a try. I got about 6-7,000 miles out of all three brands so far.

The FJR set likes Avons from reading their tire threads and some ST owners reported good results with older Azarro 45/46 combo. Today I rode home on a new set of Avon 55/56 STorms. I can't really comment after the short ride but in the next 10 days I'll roll up about 2,000 miles with about half in the mountains. The STorms are supposed to be a great rain tire without giving up much dry grip. The OEM Bridgestone 020F rear had a load rating of 73W which I believe is 805 lbs. All the others, including the new Avons are 72W which is 783 lbs. I don't ride two up (1%) and never two up with luggage so I am not worried about the 72W rating before and am not now.

When new all the tires above had 5/32" thread depth on the front. The 020's and Pilot Roads had 8/32" rear thread depth while the Z6 starts at 7/32". The Avon STorm 56 rear has 9/32" depth which bodes well for longer tire life. We will see.

Top Bottom