Minding your own business and...

Great detective work!!

Each driver's view of the other was blocked by the TWO pedestrian fences on top of the two median walls visible in the vid, with at least one having some kind of vegetation growing on it. From 90 deg these fences are OK for viewing the oncoming traffic but the angle is more like 15 deg for both drivers and impossible to see thru. There may be a protected left turn signal (Left turn on arrow ONLY, not a caution turn) installed for the SUV. The light is there in the "Exposition Blvd" pic above, but the "protection" depends on the sequencing of all the lights. If not protected, I'd bet hizhonor has already got THAT fixed.

It does look like the sedan may have been "compensatory", going too fast "for conditions", and should be easy to calculate his speed with the FPS of the camera.

driver in the car might not have seen the suv because of the wall. I'm sure investigators will check all cell phone records(ha ha) but I do agree !

I was rear-ended in my car while watching the guy looking down at something as he approached. It was not quite hard enough to deploy the airbags for either of us but pedestrians came running and it took a minute to get my remaining faculties back. I told the LEO that the driver appeared to be looking at his cell fone and requested he check it. The LEO told me they are NOT allowed to do that.

Gotta be watchful, even if the god of the lights and signs is in your favor. Just yesterday I stopped at a four way about the same as two drivers. Coming up to the fourth sign was a rather large, jacked up pickup going a good 50 in the 20 mph zone. All three of us waited, all three were on the horns. He woke up in time to come to a rubber burning stop in the middle of the intersection. No cell phone....had an open newspaper in his lap. There's at least one out there with your name on his bumper.

SUV driver probably has done that for years and on that day got popped by the unexpected. Seemed to be normal turn in, the traffic light will have to tell the real story.

Back
Top Bottom