MN to Phoenix and back.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Hey All,

I'm riding to Phoenix on business next weekend. Leaving 3/24, working in Phoenix for the week and heading back the weekend after.
That's about 1000 miles a day so I thought this post may be valid for the "Long Distance Riders" forum.

I'll be 14+ hours on the road each Saturday and Sunday for the next two weekends but I'd be open to stopping for brunch or dinner and exchange riding and racing stories a bit to break up the saddle time. Since the riding part of the trip is my own time not the company's dime, I'd love a halfway stop if anyone is open for giving a stranger a couch for a few hours.

Let me know if you are along this route and want to meet up for an eating hour.
Let me know if you are near half way (and hour or two pre-/post- Denver) and want to let me catch a nap.
I'd also appreciate if you could let me know of any don't miss twisty/scenic roads along the way.
Hey, I just remembered mellow already recommended a road, HW12 so I just modified my trip. Weather allowing (not actively snowing), I'll go through Denver.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Since I'm north of you I can't be of any assistance except to wish you the best and, of course, safe travel. Some folks I caretake a home here on the lake for have a winter home in Scottsdale (and other locations). They make the trip at least a couple times each year obviously but their advice was to avoid the Denver area by a heathy margin. Weather possible and traffic always-so they claim.
Thats a lot of saddle time! I can't get the ST out of the shed yet until the frost recedes so that the big sliding door will open and the snow/ice gives me a clear shot to the driveway at least.
But I have been at least getting some seat time on the snowmobile now and then between ice fishing Ontario, some trail riding last Tuesday and wood hauling yesterday. 20180218_093924.jpgIMG_20180317_112404183.jpg
I plan to make the trip down that way eventually to sightsee, visit some folks and friends that have defected from the north country and find a rust free replacement for the aging, salt infested 1999 Suburban.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Hey All,

I'm riding to Phoenix on business next weekend. Leaving 3/24, working in Phoenix for the week and heading back the weekend after.
That's about 1000 miles a day so I thought this post may be valid for the "Long Distance Riders" forum.
Have you done this before? The math doesn't add up. If you travel on interstates only, 1000 miles at 80 mph = 12.5 hrs +3 stops at 1/2 hr each = 14 hrs. If you start getting of the interstate you would be lucky to average 55mph.

Bike
R1200rt
There are also so many roads your missing and would be impossible to see them all, not to mention the national parks. Having been to Utah a couple of time my favorite and most dramatic scenery is 95 through the Glen Canyon area. [video=youtube;Pbk1KhXbpVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbk1KhXbpVs&t=183s[/video]

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Personally after living in Colorado for 20 years now I would never take I-70 this time of year. Snow is unpredictable, the road surface sucks most of the way from denver to the Utah boarder, Ski traffic stinks adding hours to a ride during the weekends. In fact I avoid I-70 through Colorado any time I can regardless of the time of year.

This year has been very dry with little snow fall but on the other hand March is our snowiest month.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I sincerely doubt you’d make that route in two days during summer, let alone winter/Spring. But nothing like great aspirations!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
How flexible is your employer if you show up halfway through the day on both Mondays? Seems to me that itinerary has little room for error even in summer, and at the required pace I suspect its going to feel a lot more like work than fun, even if the weather co-operates.

Bike
2005 st1300
This would be a much better route as far as time and weather are concerned. Its almost all slab, but...
The quickest is to head southwest at Holbrook, Az, but you asked for twisties so I added a leg from Flagstaff, through Jerome that won't disappoint. My folks live south of Flagstaff and while Flag has had virtually no snow this winter, they are getting a bit of a cold spell now with a bit of snow. You would have to watch the weather once you get to Albuquerque. If you went south at Holbrook, you could go southeast on 188, south of Payson and pick up the apache trail at the Roosevelt dam and run that into Phx... its slow but twisty. Capture.JPG

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Have you done Iron Butt before? It's quite an accomplishment to do a 1K mile day, and if I'm reading this right you're doing it on back to back days. Kickstand up at 0800 and parking for the night at 10:00 PM is harder than it sounds. Good Luck!

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Thanks for all the concerns about the trip. I've never done "Iron Butt" but my personal travel experience has many 14+ hour days riding. I love riding, twisty is better but I still like being on the bike (vs. box) even when slabbing it. Minnesota to North Carolina in a single shot was a regular spring occurrence for many years on various bikes (Ducati 916, Honda 900RR, Honda ST1100).

I think I will take the advice to avoid Denver and the mountains for this trip and head South to Kansas City then East from there. If it was Summer I'd add another 1/2 to assure I could hit the interesting bits.
Sorry about the 3am requests and the pivot but I'd still be interested in meeting up for food along the way.

No big if I get no offers but a couch anywhere along the route through Kansas would be welcomed. Route shown below.
No further need for "fun" route suggestions on this trip. I've wised up and will save that for a more relaxed schedule.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota.

Attachments

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Have you done this before? The math doesn't add up. If you travel on interstates only, 1000 miles at 80 mph = 12.5 hrs +3 stops at 1/2 hr each = 14 hrs. If you start getting of the interstate you would be lucky to average 55mph.
I now agree and decided to remove the off-interstate stuff. Thanks for the heads-up and sanity check.
I haven't yet stretched the legs on my new-to-me ST1300 but my typical days with the ST1100 in the past were 300 miles in 4 hours between snacks and fill-ups. The '91 ST1100 would give me a full 300 miles on each 7.5 gallon charge. Made Knoxville, TN to New York, NY in 13 hours doing that. I can't give you the New York to Minnesota time since me and my bike disappeared off the I-80 toll-way and were never seen again.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Personally after living in Colorado for 20 years now I would never take I-70 this time of year. Snow is unpredictable, the road surface sucks most of the way from denver to the Utah boarder, Ski traffic stinks adding hours to a ride during the weekends. In fact I avoid I-70 through Colorado any time I can regardless of the time of year.

This year has been very dry with little snow fall but on the other hand March is our snowiest month.
Yep, I cooled off and decided to save the fun stuff for another, more relaxed time.
Thanks for the sanity check.

Later,

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
How flexible is your employer if you show up halfway through the day on both Mondays? Seems to me that itinerary has little room for error even in summer, and at the required pace I suspect its going to feel a lot more like work than fun, even if the weather co-operates.
I did include Monday ride hours in reserve if needed for unplanned events. I'll post how things went. Like I said on other posts, I'm always happy on the bike, regardless of the conditions.
But thanks for the concern.

Later,

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I added a leg from Flagstaff, through Jerome that won't disappoint. My folks live south of Flagstaff and while Flag has had virtually no snow this winter, they are getting a bit of a cold spell now with a bit of snow. You would have to watch the weather once you get to Albuquerque. If you went south at Holbrook, you could go southeast on 188, south of Payson and pick up the apache trail at the Roosevelt dam and run that into Phx... its slow but twisty.
Thanks for that. I'll check time and weather when I'm coming or leaving through that area. I may also have an afternoon/evening during the week to check it out.
Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
... its slow but twisty. Capture.JPG
Any chance you could email that google-maps route to "kent DOT larson AT gmail DOT com" <-- I write it like that on public forums 'cause I am delusional and paranoid and think it fools the net bots.

Later,

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
This early in the year going over the Rockies can bring snow in a bad way. Once in November I had to go all the way to El Paso to get around major storm. Having a plan B may be a wise decision. Another more southern route but still having to go through mountains would be...
Taking I35 south all the way to I40 then take 40 west. Probably by the time you got to AZ you would want to slab it all the way in but if not...
Exit 339 to 191 south go to St John's then 61 to 60 west to Phoenix. Or exit 286 to 77 south to 377 to 277 west then 260 to Payson and then take 87 into Phoenix metro area.
Do you have heated gear? Temps at this time of year will zap your strength and energy if you are cold and muscles are tight.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 st1300
Any chance you could email that google-maps route to "kent DOT larson AT gmail DOT com" <-- I write it like that on public forums 'cause I am delusional and paranoid and think it fools the net bots.

Later,
Email sent. Good luck. Let us know how you make out. I am heading to Phoenix on the 26th but unfortunately, it will be by plane and not my bike

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
This early in the year going over the Rockies can bring snow in a bad way. Once in November I had to go all the way to El Paso to get around major storm. Having a plan B may be a wise decision. Another more southern route but still having to go through mountains would be...
Taking I35 south all the way to I40 then take 40 west. Probably by the time you got to AZ you would want to slab it all the way in but if not...
Exit 339 to 191 south go to St John's then 61 to 60 west to Phoenix. Or exit 286 to 77 south to 377 to 277 west then 260 to Payson and then take 87 into Phoenix metro area.
Do you have heated gear? Temps at this time of year will zap your strength and energy if you are cold and muscles are tight.
Thanks. I'll check weather and time and consider that on the way down or back.
I ride year round in Minnesota so I'm well adjusted to cold weather riding. I just did Minneapolis to Wausau, WI today but that's just 3 hours.

Later,
Kent Larson from Wisconsin

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks. I'll check weather and time and consider that on the way down or back.
I ride year round in Minnesota so I'm well adjusted to cold weather riding. I just did Minneapolis to Wausau, WI today but that's just 3 hours.

Later,
Kent Larson from Wisconsin
Kent you better high tail it out of Wisconsin and get south on Friday. Looks like winter weather by 11 pm Friday night starting in Rockford Illinois. Don't know where it is going to come from yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom