Modular helmets and mics?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Most communication systems offer boom mics and/or cabled stick-on mics. Has anybody used a stick-on mic with a modular helmet? One of my riding buddies has a Honda CB/Intercom setup with a boom mic on his NeoTec.

I don't know if I could convince him to add another boom mic for a Sena BT device or if it's even possible. Are the in-helmet mics feasible with modulars or does the wire get screwed up with the opening and closing of the helmet? If two boom mics aren't one too many it could be an option.

I wasn't able to successfully install a wired mic in my NeoTec... I toyed briefly with a Cardo G4 corded mic, which came with some spiral sleeving to go over the cord, but I didn't think it would work.... wire might still get trapped while opening/closing the helmet, and looked a little too fragile....... however, Sena includes a stick-on boom mic in their latest kits (I presume available separately if needed). I'm going to see if I can put this between the cheek pad and outer shell, as I have seen a buddy of mine do. Only to get the regular boom from having to come in through the bottom, and it is totally hidden with the chin bar closed. This option might let you use the stick-on boom in addition to another boom mic.?

I have a Shark Evo 3 which is modular and use the UClear HBC200 with it.....love it. The mics are very small and for modulars they recommend placing them up near the forehead liner. I put mine there with them just poking out of the liner.....there are two mics. Works fantastic....crystal clear with the helmet in any position.

They have a video on their site....just scroll down to the Snowmobile/Modular setup.
http://www.uclear-digital.com/videos-photos/

Last edited:
This option might let you use the stick-on boom in addition to another boom mic.?

That could be just the ticket! Please report your progress RaY! The second hurdle is squeezing in a second set of speakers in the buddy's helmet that already has Honda kit installed. I don't think hacking using the existing speakers for the OEM and Add-On Sena would be a consideration.

The mics are very small and for modulars they recommend placing them up near the forehead liner. I put mine there with them just poking out of the liner.....there are two mics. Works fantastic....crystal clear with the helmet in any position.

This is worth a look. If the UClear is wholly compatible (no re-pairing needed if b2b contact is lost) with the Sena it would definitely move to the front of the line. I'm sort of sold on the Sena 10C because of the AOI concept. Thanks for the link PFD!

Occasionally the velcro becomes "unstuck" from the chin bar but the cable is plenty long for the chin bar to open or close.

But no problem with the cable getting loose or binding or getting worn prematurely?

I ran the cable down the left side of the chin bar and haven't had it wear or bind. I've had the liner out of the helmet to wash it several times and make sure the cables and the speakers are firmly attached. I have a Chatterbox that bluetooths my iPhone and the main unit fits to the rim of the helmet below my left ear.

I use the second one up from the bottom with my Neotec. Works great. I fed it through the left cheek pad and the velcro sticks to it.

SMH10-UMK-62.jpg

I have a boom mic from Sena in my Neo-Tech.
I Snapped the cheek piece over the part that rests inside the helmet.
It works fine for me.

I actually cut a slot in the check pad plastic so the boom arm would be a little hidden and the mic ends up right in front.

I have a modular with the Sena 10. I was using the boom mic but the way it was mounted under the cheek pad it was a little loose. I switched it to the small stick on mic. There is enough slack in the line to open the modular with out issue (other than the wire visible and "vulnerable"). It lays in next to my cheek when the lid is down. Both sound the same according to people on the other end of the phone conversation. I haven't used it bike to bike yet.

Top Bottom