more 28 amp

Someone over on my-mc tested a new 40Amp alternator, and it actually makes over 50 Amps. The 40Amp unit can be rebuilt to some degree, but you have to know someone who really knows what they are doing - hard to find these days.

As long as the windings are OK, you can rebuild the 40 amp yourself. I did a writeup on this when I rebuilt mine a while back. See it on the "other" site: HERE

OK, OK, OK

I have Will England's engine but it has a 40amp on it. It has 100k on it.

No one wants the engine but the alt. are in demand... make an offer, I'll pull it off.

I didn't want to do that. I was going to sell the engine as a unit.

Twice on Ebay got no bids with a $600 reserve and pick it up in Billings only.

Engine, along with cables, gauges etc are for sale too

am i getting close to a working st? sent MDturley a pm. keeping fingers crossed.:bow1::)

Franco, it's probably worth it to do the upgrade. If you get the parts soon, I've got the tool kit for it, maybe you will be next? I'm up in Elgin, just east of Austin. Heck, I might could swing down and give a hand depending on when you do the upgrade.

Frayadjacent, thanks sounds great ! what tools are you infering to? seems a lot of info out there on the mod and rebuild but I still haven t tied it all together . i still need to find one .I ll keep in touch.
Fred.

Geeeze, Mark... I know Bike Bandit prices are ~20% higher than any other online OEM parts source, but their $1,200 price for an FJ alternator makes the Service Honda price of $413 for a Honda 40amper seem cheap! :)

edit: What's the amp rating of the FJ unit? Are we looking for more amps than the Honda OEM unit, or a cheaper replacement of at least the same output?

John

The bikebandit link was just for the illustration. FJ alternators are on ebay for around $50, and outputs 70 amps. That beats the $400/40A Honda option in my book, as long as it fits. Both will need to install the 40A base.

Top Bottom