Mosfet Regulator for ST1100?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Left side, just forward of the battery. Notice the short harness coming from the alternator, one has three yellow wires going into it. This is a good connector to inspect periodically for corrosion on the terminals within the connector halves, over heated wiring and telltale melted spots on the connector housing itself. Loose fitting connector halves is not a good condition either...may lead to arcing.
1623002873024.png1623002916139.png

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hi
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but this was the first thread that I could find that mentioned the red connector with the three yellow wires.
I've just done the "red wire bypass", and I saw during my research that the red connector with the three yellow wires is also prone to corrosion and burning. Apologies for sounding ignorant, but where is this connector located? The bike is a '91.
follow the three yellow wires back from the Voltage regulator towards the front of the bike. it's tucked into the frame just above the main regulator

OK, I found the yellow wire connector, and it's all looking good, thanks.
Now, am I being thick, or having a blonde moment, or did I simply miss something? Looking at the two main circuits at the famous red plug, the red wire (power to fusebox) and the red/white wire (charge from alternator) are connected inside the starter relay, before the main 30A fuse. So, if you're riding along and the main fuse fails, then the bike simply keeps running on the voltage coming from the alternator. The fuse may have blown because of a short between the starter relay and the fusebox, but the alternator will keep charging (probably flat out) until something else fails.
And that "something" is likely to be either the wiring, or the diodes in the rectifier, either one of which is an expensive fix.
So what exactly is that 30A fuse protecting?
I would love to hear the experts' opinions.

Top Bottom