Motion Pro 8mm Mini Bleeder Review

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
This winter I was picking up some tools to expand my shop a little. One thing I got was the Motion Pro 8mm Mini Bleeder.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0482-Mini-Bleeder/dp/B0077QSGFG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

08-0482.jpg

I went through and replaced the brake pads and did a full flush of the brake system on my 1300 a few days ago. In the past I used a Mighty Vac for all bleeds and flushes. Here is what I found in using this new tool.

First thing I noticed about this is that it can be a little hard to get it on the bleed nipple. I think the rubber seal is pretty tight which it probably needs to be and will likely break in over time a bit. Not a big deal. I started going through the brakes and came to the first issue. The top bleed point on the right front caliper. There is no way to get the tool on this point without removing the caliper. The nipple is too close to the fork and it isn't going on there. I then stopped and dug out the mighty vac for that point. The next issue came when I got to the point where you tip up the left caliper. Maybe I am doing something wrong here but with a mighty vac you are just pulling through fluid so you don't pump the brakes. With this you need to work the brake lever to push the fluid through the one way valve in the bleeder. The problem as I see it is won't the caliper pistons come out when the caliper is tipped up? Not wanting to fight to get the pistons pushed back again after already doing a pad change I just grabbed a couple of those wooden shims used for installing doors and windows in your house that I had in the shop and wedged them between the pads. I didn't try it without the shims in place but maybe someone else can chime in with that possible issue. The rest of the bleed points went fine. No issues connecting it to any point but I know igofar has mentioned he prefers the traditional motion pro bleeder over the mini because he can bleed the proportioning block without removing the plastic. Wasn't an issue for me this time as all the plastic was off. I typically bleed every spring when my bike is in this state of being ripped apart anyhow so it wasn't an issue. The bigger problem was the right front upper bleed point. One other comment was that I was doing this by my self. One thing that I couldn't do was see the line on the tool when bleeding the rear caliper and had a hard time seeing the left side. This is an issue because you want to be able to see if you are getting any bubbles. I did put teflon tape on all my bleed points back when I first used my mighty vac so I don't have the bubble issue on that. The trade off is that you are right there watching your fluid level so you are not likely to suck all your brake fluid out and have to start over. I have done that with the mighty vac. :eek::

On to the next job. The clutch. Couldn't even use the Motion Pro on this. It would be a tight fit to get in there as the coolant overflow bottle is in the way. The other problem is that it is a 10mm not an 8mm like the brakes so the tool won't work even if you could get it in there. Pulled out the Mighty vac again.

In the end if you wanted to go with a Motion Pro I would say avoid the mini. It worked really well on the points where I could use it. But get the traditional one and not the mini as you will have some points where you simply can't use it without additional work like pulling the right caliper and it won't work on the clutch. I know igofar also mentioned to replace the lines that come with the original one with some new lines from your local hardware store. Maybe someone will chime in with if it is an issue or not with the brake pistons when tilting up the left caliper.

Cost wise the two versions are about the same.

Here is the traditional one.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B001DDAECW

The Motion Pro mini worked perfectly on my non-ABS 1100 and a Harley of a friend of mine.

I was going to mention that it would likely work just fine on the 1100. I haven't tried it on mine yet. Once all the snow is gone and I can get the 1100 out I will be going through that bike.

As stated prior in an earlier post, IMHO this new tool is simply an attempt at marketing!
As you figured out, the rubber fitting will probably stretch, get a memory, and stop working or leak.
You can't take advantage of short cut bleeding methods (no plastic removal) to get to the PCV valve, or use it near Reflectors (front forks)
or without moving something. The standard model will fit ANYWHERE, on any vehicle, and you can replace the lines (recommended) often.
I find that I trim about 1/4 inch off every couple times I use it, to keep the fitment snug and leak free.
Sure they make a couple different sizes, but that just means you'll have to purchase (2) for the brakes & clutch etc.
I'll stick with the KISS method, and pass on the gimicky one.
I've run over 10 gal. of break fluid through a standard one in about a year, and never had any issues other than the one I killed at the Garlic Tech Event,
and that was my own stupid fault for trying to push pudding through the tool :rofl1:
Bottom line, it was a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

Motion Pro also makes models that will work with 10mm and 11mm nipples.....

This is true but why buy all these different size bleeders when the nipples on the brakes are 8mm. Do the same price you are better off with the traditional one which is universal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom