Mounting new tires... Bead Lubricant

Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
I have a couple of bikes now (just purchased a '95 Triumph Trident 900). Being spring it is time to do some "pre-season" maintenance. For the ST1100 I purchased new Metzler tires and am in the process of changing them... myself of course.

I have read that most DIY'ers and even MC shops use soapy water to lube the bead to dismount and mount tires. A local autoparts store guy said he uses silicone. I have found that you do NOT use oil or grease (not good for the rubber). Some have commented that Silicone or any petroleum jelly is just too slippery and that there is the possibility that the rim may slip on the tire... even after air pressure is present. And soapy water? I just read that even some soaps have a high sodium hydroxide* content that actually eats away at the rim. So what is a good product to use???

Armor All... or STP Son of a Gun "protectant" That is what I read. Here is a link to the article..... "Easy Way to Ruin Your Rims"

Im curious what others think of this... and does anyone use this already?

Just an FYI

*Sodium Hydroxide is what makes soap slippery

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I went to an autoparts store and bought a gallon of tire lubricant. Been using the same gallon for a long time and I do a lot tire changes! Put a little bit in a plastic cup and brush it on with a cheap paint brush. It doesn't take much, doesn't hurt the tire, and works as it was designed for.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I use WD40. Told about it by brother who owned a bike shop. He was told by tire rep.

I just changed tires on my little Duc using honda spray polish. Goes on slippery, dries tacky.

Was even able to set the bead with a bicycle hand pump :)

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I don't use any lube???? It doesn't try to slide around on me that way.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I use the tire lube that NoMar sells. Straight out of the jar for mounting new tires, diluted with water in a pump sprayer to lubricate the old ones for dismounting (after breaking the beads.) NoMar has some good videos on their website:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

Bike
2010 ST1300
MCN did a review of tire lubes within the last few months. See if you can find a friend who still has back issues. Sorry, I don't think I do - but I'll look and pm you if I find it.

P.S. It was the November 2014 issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom