Need help with carb issue

VinceDee

R.I.P. - 2019/12/21
Rest In Peace
Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
Just got my 91 ST11, and the carbs (I'm pretty sure) were gummed up from sitting. The bike runs on choke, but not at idle. After reading a couple of threads here, I decided to try out Seafoam.

Basically, I disconnected the intake hose from the tank, inserted a funnel, then poured Seafoam in according to the instructions while the bike was running (I found out the hard way to disconnect the electrical fuel pump on the tank when disconnecting the hose:eek:: ), then I turned off the bike. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then cranked it up again. There was a lot of "extreme exhaust" (smoke) for several minutes until I turned it off.

I ended up pouring the rest of the Seafoam container into the tank, since it was probably old gas. The bike starts easily now, and it idles better, but still not completely on it's own. It needs a tiny bit of throttle to stay idling (I already adjusted the idle as high as it will go). Also, it's smoking (which I'm guessing is the Seafoam, since it didn't smoke previously). Other than those two issues, it seems to be running well.

Do I need to just bite the bullet and get the carbs cleaned, or does anyone have a suggestion? Should I take it out on a long highway ride? I doubt if that would fix the idle problem. Should I empty the Seafoamed gas out of the tank and start wish fresh gas? Techron? Help?

Also, is there a link with step-by-step instructions for cleaning the carbs myself?

Thanks

Top Bottom