Need tires

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Has anyone of you 1200RT or 1600 riders run Michelin Road 6 on your bikes? I have used up two sets of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my GSA, and they just don't last long enough for me to buy another set. They stick like glue, but I need more longevity as the GSA is my main touring bike. What say you.......

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mine came with Road 6GTs and got close to 9k miles. I have roadsmart 3s on now but just put them on so can't tell, they are good prices if you can find them. Sorry, just not enough miles yet to give any real comparisons. T32s go on next.

Reactions: Tor

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm running a R6 on the front. Maybe 6,000 miles now. I couldn't get my hands on a R5 when I needed it so I installed this R5. I estimate wear now against beginning depth it will go longer than the 10 to 11,000 miles the R5 fronts give me. The rear R5 is over 14,000 miles now with 2/32" left. I'm never changing from R5s as long as I can get them.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
Second year on my K1600 GTL Exclusive. Very nice. Always had previous generations on my ST1300. I will stay with them.

On my R1150RT the previous Road 4 and Road 5 GT wore the best. Especially on the front as it EATS up front tires as fast as the back. The GT is the way to go on that bike for mileage. I just don't go to the racetrack to evalulate performance to speak to that aspect. Only tire that sucked eggs for me was the tires I had on a Ural. Cheapo tires and they were just hilarious on ice.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I have been running Dunlop Trailmax Mission on my ‘21 1250 gs and I am hard on throttle, I also know a few other people that run them and have gotten high mileage 12k+, I have 7000 miles on mine and maybe half gone if that maybe even more(not even think of replacing them). I like them for pavement, dirt, rain….I do not like them for mud and deep sand.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a set of the Michy Road 6 GT's on my K1600 GTL and they just never felt "hooked up" to me. Prior to the Road 6's I ran Pirelli Angel GT II's and those felt absolutely nailed to the tarmac. Loved them. Mileage sucked.

I am currently riding a GSA with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's and I agree that they stick like glue and give a lot of confidence in the corners and the wet. So far I have about 3500 miles on them and the rear is starting to square off (what can I say... With a few exceptions, I haven't found many roads in Florida that aren't pencil straight). Plenty of life left in them. I may try the Continental Trail Attack 3's next as I hear good things about them. I also know a number of GS and Multistrada riders who fervently LOVE the Dunlop Mutant's and don't understand why I haven't tried them, and they say they get great milage out of them. You may want to look at those as a potential option.

So far I really like the stickiness of Pirelli's but haven't run across any that last long. Make sense though, softer more stick, whereas the Michelin's are hard and give you high mileage. YMMV

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a set of the Michy Road 6 GT's on my K1600 GTL and they just never felt "hooked up" to me. Prior to the Road 6's I ran Pirelli Angel GT II's and those felt absolutely nailed to the tarmac. Loved them. Mileage sucked.

I am currently riding a GSA with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's and I agree that they stick like glue and give a lot of confidence in the corners and the wet. So far I have about 3500 miles on them and the rear is starting to square off (what can I say... With a few exceptions, I haven't found many roads in Florida that aren't pencil straight). Plenty of life left in them. I may try the Continental Trail Attack 3's next as I hear good things about them. I also know a number of GS and Multistrada riders who fervently LOVE the Dunlop Mutant's and don't understand why I haven't tried them, and they say they get great milage out of them. You may want to look at those as a potential option.

So far I really like the stickiness of Pirelli's but haven't run across any that last long. Make sense though, softer more stick, whereas the Michelin's are hard and give you high mileage. YMMV
Completely different bikes in comparison but I love the Michelin Road 5. I've been through 3 set of 5s on the RT now and have no reason to look elsewhere. I'm running them on both the NC and the RT. I can't relate to Michelins being simply "hard". Michelin finally figured out the secrets of building dual compound tires during the Pilot Road series (which I did not like). Soft & sticky where you need them to be and long wearing for the upright part of riding and finally even wearing with 2CT+ construction. The hard compound under the soft compound on the edges stiffens the carcass at high lean angles, this was an innovation with the Road 5 and 6.

We should plan a meet up outside Ocala sometime soon. It's not the mountains but some of Florida's best roads are just up the road from Spring Hill.

RT rain pouring.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
BF goodrich g-force comp-2 a/s plus. DARKSIDE tire. get 40,000 miles at 26 psi. Sticks like glue, super soft ride. Gravel road is no problem.
I can run the twisties on Muholland hwy or PCH. I am on my fifth tire! I will never go back to a wimpy MC tire.
I would have been replacing tires every 4 months, but now it is every two years. More time on the road than in the shop.
Daily commuter...

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
We should plan a meet up outside Ocala sometime soon. It's not the mountains but some of Florida's best roads are just up the road from Spring Hill.
@dduelin I'd love to take you up on that but it looks as if I will be sidelined the rest of the year as spine surgery appears to be in my future this summer.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
@dduelin I'd love to take you up on that but it looks as if I will be sidelined the rest of the year as spine surgery appears to be in my future this summer.
Hope your back surgery goes as planned and helps you get a better quality of life!
I've had two lower back spinal fusions and doing much better, but my back still doesn't like the seated riding position for any length of time.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am sorry to hear that but in good hands you will be healed of the problem.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Time's up. Had to order a set, so when I get back from ArkanSToc, and being home for two days before heading up the Hot Springs (barring any hurricanes), I have time to put them on. Conti Trail Attack 3 it is. Using Road Attack 4's on the XR, but this is a different animal.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd be very interested in your experience with those. I have been running the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's on my GSA and have been very pleased with them but I am looking at those as a possible replacement.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I'd be very interested in your experience with those. I have been running the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's on my GSA and have been very pleased with them but I am looking at those as a possible replacement.
Thats what's currently on my GSA. They stick pretty good in both dry and wet, but for me, they just don't last.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thats what's currently on my GSA. They stick pretty good in both dry and wet, but for me, they just don't last.
Yeah, that's a problem with all of the Pirelli's I have had as well. They all have performed almost spectacularly, but they wear out quickly. I only got 4300 miles out of the rear on my K1600 running Angel GT II's. So far I have gotten over 4000 miles with the Scorpion Trail 2's on my GSA and the rear is just starting to square off. Both Pirelli's stuck like nothing else on the Tail of the Dragon inspiring a ton of confidence. Given how well they stick I have been hesitant to change to a different brand. Choices, choices... :think1:

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I have a r1200RT with a R6 gt on rear. Not much mileage as of yet. Need more ride X. Will let every1 know.

Top Bottom