Needles are in pairs ?

Bike
ST1100AY
I just spotted that the needles are in pairs, this implies there is a difference between the pairs. Can anyone advise what the difference is ?

Also, the diagram seems to indicate that the forward cylinders have the same pair and the rear cylinders have a different pair, can anyone confirm, thx

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 08.13.26.png

Last edited:

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
There is no difference. It is quantity 4 of the same part number. I don't know why it is listed like that.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
The diagram shows the front pair of carbs using needle (19) and the rear pair of carbs using needle (20), with different part numbers

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
There is no difference. It is quantity 4 of the same part number. I don't know why it is listed like that.
I have a non US bike so for me I have two part numbers :
16131-MAJ-R00 (Front Pair)
&
16191-MAJ-R00 (Rear Pair)

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I just checked the stamping on my needles and I have :

2 x J1BP
2 x J1BQ

So mine are indeed different front to rear !!

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
In the old Honda Sabre/Magna I know the jets were different front to rear which had to do with the front cylinders getting more cooling air but, that was an unprotected engine . As far as I knew the ST1100 needles were all the same, with all the cowling around the engine that makes sense to me. I wonder what the theory on this is.

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It is interesting that on the above list the US, CM and SW versions have items 19 and 20 with the same part numbers so both sets of needles are the same. Not so with the other sets.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
This is interesting:think1:. I am going to check the needles on my spare carb set. Will report back.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The engine is water cooled, so why would front and rear be different?
Cylinders are not all cooled equally because the 'cooler' fluid only comes in at one point, more favorable to some cylinders than others. Plus, some cylinders see more air flow than others. Rear cylinders are often hotter.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The carburetor needles vary depending on what market your particular motorcycle was manufactured for, or at least the carburetors were manufactured for if they are not original to the motorcycle. If they are different, they are the same on both left-hand carburetors and the same on the two right-hand carburetors.

What specific model is your motorcycle and do you know what country your motorcycle was originally sold in as a new vehicle?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...they are the same on both left-hand carburetors and the same on the two right-hand carburetors.
Yep, and I think they are oval, easing movement (and seal) inside the main jet bore on that 45° tilted configuration of the ST carb bank...
The needles are not vertical, not "hanging downwards freely", rather kinda "dangling", tipping downward in an offset angle within the jet bore... ergo some unique shape for LHS and RHS...

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
The carburetor needles vary depending on what market your particular motorcycle was manufactured for, or at least the carburetors were manufactured for if they are not original to the motorcycle. If they are different, they are the same on both left-hand carburetors and the same on the two right-hand carburetors.

What specific model is your motorcycle and do you know what country your motorcycle was originally sold in as a new vehicle?
its an AY and I think for european market but imported into Dubai, defintely I have two different pairs of needles by design and in practice. it would be nice to know why they are different

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
ergo some unique shape for LHS and RHS...
More to do with emissions standards, altitude, etc. of the market that the motorcycle was originally intended for. As an example, I believe that on North American models all four needles are the same part number except for California possibly.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think for european market but imported into Dubai
The parts list in your post #1 is showing different needle configurations for several different markets.
Each market can be as small as one country or can include multiple countries. There were quite a few different models sold in Europe dependant on the country it was destined for. If you knew what country your motorcycle was originally exported to/sold in, you will have a better assurance of getting the correct parts for your particular motorcycle- if everything is still configured as manufactured by Honda.

Top Bottom