New Air filter and... Wow !

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I bought my 2000 ST1100 back in 2020.

Since then, I only made 20 000 km / 12 000 miles. Yeah... the season is short here in Quebec...

Anyway, according to the maintenance schedule, it's time for a new air filter.

When I last checked it, two years ago, it was still looking good. But now.... yeurk !

1000007823.jpg

1000007811.jpg

I went with the Hiflo brand. Hiflo filtro HFA 1911.
They are really not expensive.

1000007820.jpg

While I was there, with the engine iddling, I made the simple test of blocking one of the four intakes, for a few seconds, one after one, with my hand.
It takes 2 seconds before I felt the vacuum getting stronger and then the RPM really gets down. So, this confirmed me that all four cylinders are firing and working.

I also rechecked my secondary air filter. I replaced it not long ago. And boy... it was really dusty. I just rince it under water and let it dry.
This little air box (for the secondary air filter) doesn't seems to be air tight at all. I think I will wrap a piece of tape aroud it, to seal it from outside.

1000007822.jpg

I then went for a ride, and Wow !
Really, with a little twist of the wrist, I really feel more reaction now. It reacts more spontaneously.

So, for about $30, it really made an improvement in performance.

1000007841.jpg

Despite its age (24 years), at 52 000 km (32 000 miles) it is still a really pleasant and comfortable bike. And not too bad looking, too.

Chris

Last edited:
Did it fit/seal properly?

Yes @DeanR

It is the exact same size as the old one (OEM ?).

It is the same size, and on the old one, you could see a darker mark, all aroud it, on top and under, left by the rubber o-ring in the airbox.

See that ?

1000007814.jpg

1000007815.jpg

1000007804.jpg

So, this confirms that it is just the right size.

Also, I was thinking about something else... the two last years were outstanding for fine dust particle, from the hundreds big forest fires we had.

We had really dense smog for weeks, here, in eastern Canada. Some days, we almost couldn't see the sun thru that "smoke" and fine dust.

So... I guess they just filled up our air filter as well. Micro thin dust particle, too thin to be seen. But, they are there.

Chris

Last edited:
Used a HiFlo once and ended up with very white spark plug electrodes... :oops:
Held against a light source the HiFlo seems very thin compared to the paper in an OEM filter...

Back
Top Bottom