New Dunlop Streetsmarts - what a difference

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've begun to notice "the wobble" at speeds over 65 or so and have had concerns about bearings and all sorts of problems. I previously had no wobble so I was bewildered at this development. I have a set of Continental Road Attacks about 70% gone and when I looked closely at them I noticed they looked like they had uneven tread wear. There was a strip in the center that the tread was about 50% and the and the both sides were just about gone. The cross section of the tire looked like a V. I always run 42psi so it wasn't a low tire problem. Then I remembered running the "3 Sisters" in the Texas Hill Country for a couple of days pretty hard recently. The roads there are very rough and I remembered someone telling me how bad they eat up tires and it came together.

Anyway, I put on a set of the new Dunlop Roadsmarts yesterday and can't believe the difference. Absolutely no "wobble" at anymore at any speed. At least up to 80 on a straight line for now. I have about another 50 miles or so to "scrub in" the tires before I can really test the "wobble" theory, but I'm pretty sure it's gone with the new tires.

By the way, I got the tires at Al Lamb Honda in Dallas for $248.00 including tax if anyone is interested.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought you were running a Tomahawk retread on the back. How did that wear?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What did they charge to put them on... that can't be $248 Installed...

OP
OP
txdon2006
Bike
2007 ST1300
What did they charge to put them on... that can't be $248 Installed...
I thought you were running a Tomahawk retread on the back. How did that wear?
Yes, I was running the Tomahawk on the rear and it was about half gone with 3k miles on it. Since I was replacing the front Contintential, I decided to replace both at the same time. I had no trouble with the Tomahawk at all.

I paid $100.00 to get them installed.

Last edited:

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
How did the road attacks work for you? I am on my second set and they seem to wear strangely in the middle. Seem to cup quickly. Did you have a similar experience?

OP
OP
txdon2006
Bike
2007 ST1300
How did the road attacks work for you? I am on my second set and they seem to wear strangely in the middle. Seem to cup quickly. Did you have a similar experience?
They wear VERY strangely and I think that was what was attributing to my "wobble". It happens slowly and builds up. Makes you think all kinds of things are wrong. I had to replace the rear Continental with only about 3,500 miles on it. I replaced the rear one with a Tomahawk to try it and then replaced both the front and rear at the same time. The front one in the pictures had about 4,000 miles on it when I replace both front and rear with the Streetsmarts.

Last edited:
So far I like my Street Smarts too, the only thing thats wierd is a strange wosh type noise coming from the front only goes away when I am almost completely stopped. It almost sounds like wind rushing through the cowling etc but its there at to low of a speed.

OP
OP
txdon2006
Bike
2007 ST1300
So far I like my Street Smarts too, the only thing thats wierd is a strange wosh type noise coming from the front only goes away when I am almost completely stopped. It almost sounds like wind rushing through the cowling etc but its there at to low of a speed.
I'm glad you posted that because I have heard the same thing. Maybe when they get broken in it will stop. It's not that annoying, but differently a something to be aware of so you won't think you are crazy.

Top Bottom