Noco Lithium NLP14 Battery

Anyone here have any experience with one of these batteries in their ST1300? Time may be getting close for me to replace my existing gel battery.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Thanks, Larry. Are there particular reasons why?
I got my 1100 in August of '18 and put in an $88 AGM from Walmart. Every winter, no battery tender or fuel treatment, just under a Dowco cover outdoors. Going on six years now, and so far, it has started almost as if it had been ridden the day before.

OP
OP
Magicman
I got my 1100 in August of '18 and put in an $88 AGM from Walmart. Every winter, no battery tender or fuel treatment, just under a Dowco cover outdoors. Going on six years now, and so far, it has started almost as if it had been ridden the day before.

Great info, Larry. Thanks!!

Bike
R1200rt
2,500 happy reviews, sold on Amazon, made in China, what could go wrong. Unfortunatly it seems that all batteries are made in China, good luck .

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
A vast improvement in my GF's NT700VA...
Similar excellent in the ST1100...
Their BMS does seem to have a issue with discharge protection, as I had already two dead ones I cannot revive...
(note that I've a Sony car stereo which memory supply adds "parasitic load" there...)

Hence I've given the DEESPAEK YTX14-BS a try and ended up being a very happy customer, no faults yet...

And the best thing: if a LiFePO4 is discharged, the designated charger takes only ~45 minutes to get fully operational again...

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Magicman, the general consensus here is that lead acid - AGM or flooded - are cheaper than Lithium and they require no special charger. The former are more durable than the latter, but slightly more expensive. Lithium may require a special charger (though more and more of the better 'maintainers' have a provision for Lithium) and if you discharge it all the way down, it may be toast. They are also more expensive than lead. That said, we have more than a few guys here who swear by their Li batteries.

I've said that your bike will accelerate faster and be easier to pick up with a lithium batt (it's about 4 pounds lighter than a lead battery), and while that is true, it might not win you a bet in a race. Better not to drop the bike in the first place.

I bought my 2012 used in January and the previous owner installed a NLP14 that he had purchased in December. So far I have been pretty impressed, but I don't have any real long term experience. It cranks the ST over pretty quickly and when I was having problems getting it to start (it was stripped down and I forgot to connect the tip over sensor) it cranked over it for quite a while.

It certainly is a lot lighter, and it fits fine. I traditionally used Yuasa, but from what I understand, their quality has been going downhill. I did buy a Noco charger, because I like to keep the ST on a trickly charge. $30

Amazon.com: NOCO GENIUS1, 1A Smart Car Battery Charger, 6V and 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator for Motorcycle, ATV, Lithium and Deep Cycle Batteries : Automotive

Yuasa YTZ14S is currently $166 on Amazon

2024-04-22 10.15.13.jpg

Bike
2007 ST1300
the Noco NLP14 is cheaper than the Yuasa now. Other than the possible additional investment in a lithium trickle charger, I think there are benefits to the Lithium battery as long as it's maintained (like any other battery would), and you are diligent with any farkles to make sure theyre turned off to avoid the parasitic drain issue. I don't ride in below freezing temps so the temperature range for lithium is not a factor. That's the only real negative for lithium that I can think of.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I purchased one last fall and have not had any issues but that is not saying much at 4-5 months of use. Time will tell! I looked for reviews and opinions but I don't think it has been out long enough for long-term reviews. The only thing that scares me is the heat and how Lithium batteries don't do well in high temps. I took care of my AGM batteries and still only got 3 years, decided I would try something else.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I am at I like the LiFePO4 for a sporty type bike (VFR) and AGM for a larger tour/sport bike.
On the VFR I have a 10 year old LiFePO4 that still cranks like no tomorrow. Maintenance? What maintenance? Ride all season, bring it
in the house for the winter. Not once ever charged. No maintainer nothing... Its still going... 13.3 volts static.... hmmmm...

On the Valk I bought an Interstate AGM August 2021...Yuasa owns them.... Its a Yuasa design manufactured in Taiwan...
(Holy carp, the price has gone way up!)
Did the add in acid and full 3 amp charge, 24 hours to start.
Its been fine. Quite on purpose as an experiment, decided to go with zero battery charge maintenace... no trickle, no nothing.
So it sat in the garage on bike all winter... 5ish months... the first tryout this year? Nothing but really good cranking on the starter like it was new.

I'm kinda at, its probably hard to get a bad battery... something like oil?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did the add in acid and full 3 amp charge, 24 hours to start.
I'm kinda at, its probably hard to get a bad battery... something like oil?
Not many folks do the full charge to start, even when they buy a battery from an auto parts store that says it is fully charged right out of the box. If you don't do the full, slow charge, you lose up to 10% of the capacity (CCA) of the battery. I'm talking about lead acid batteries here.

Unfortunately, lead batteries are like light bulbs - nobody can predict how long a given sample will last. There have been enough complaints about short life on lead batteries that, yes, you can get a bad battery. Lithiums are supposed to last longer. Time will tell. For lead, anything from 3 to 5 years is the average life. Now, someone please explain to me how I've had two lawn tractor batteries - flooded lead - that have each lasted 11 years (the second one is heading towards 12 as I write this).

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put the Noco NLP14 in my GS Adventure about a year ago now and so far, I have been very satisfied with it. The starter spins up noticeably stronger and the voltage is always strong. BMW GS's are notoriously finicky about voltage, and if there isn't quite enough juice, they start throwing angry notices at you. I have had no such issues with the Noco. Of course, YMMV.

My DesertX came with a lithium (not NoCo) from the factory and I'm currently running a NLP5 in my WR250R. I needed a battery for the little Yamaha and there was a black Friday sale on them so I paid $45, figured it was worth the gamble. My results from these two will guide me in the future.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Have the NOCO for 2 years in my ST1300 now and no issues - long hot trips or cold winter days. it has a few more amps and starts are more robust, myVFR just got one this year same result a little more boost on the start. These are circuited batteries so they dont over charge

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I am at I like the LiFePO4 for a sporty type bike (VFR) and AGM for a larger tour/sport bike.
On the VFR I have a 10 year old LiFePO4 that still cranks like no tomorrow. Maintenance? What maintenance? Ride all season, bring it
in the house for the winter. Not once ever charged. No maintainer nothing... Its still going... 13.3 volts static.... hmmmm...
I haven’t used anything but lithium on any of my 7 bikes past 10-yrs. I don’t miss dragging and rotating chargers between them all winter. Now I just leave them for winter, some of them 5-6 months.

Here’s my VFR coming out of 4-months winter storage.

VoltmeterVFRfullyCharged.jpeg

Turn key on, wait 5-sec for pump to fill carbs, push start, 2-3 cranks later >VROOMmm< !!! Voltage doesn’t drop too much while cranking either.

VoltmeterVFR.jpeg

Honda has been using lithium as OEM batteries on many models since 2018. I’m never going back to lead-acid. Been upgrading many datacentres to lithium for batttery-backup UPS as well. And solar storage as well.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Possibly unrelated…I had a Deltran lithium battery in the 2000 ST…changed it out last summer only due to age and it was greater than 8 years old at the time. I replaced it with an Anti-Gravity brand battery (also lithium). No issues at all and it has a button on top so it has one extra charge in reserve in case of a dead battery (it can self jump).

Top Bottom