Not thrilled with Russell Day Long

Bike
2004 ST1300
I recently got a good deal on a used Russell Day Long (RDL) front seat. I haven't gotten to test it out much, but am not thrilled so far. The feel and riding position is not bad, but putting both feet down at a stop is the big issue. I have to slide forward to the tank to get both feet down, and even then I'm on my toes. The seat is at the lowest position. Is this typical for the RDL because of the side support, or is it potentially an issue with this particular one being fitted for a much different body type?

I guess I can see how the RDL might be more comfortable on long hauls, but for local rides it seems like a pain. For comparison, I just had a stock seat Spencerized. It allows me to nearly flat foot when stopped and feels pretty comfortable, but again have not gotten enough seat time for a decent evaluation.

Part and parcel of a Russell Day-Long. The characteristics that make it a day-long comfortable saddle mean that you have to slide forward to put your feet down.

I've now ridden the stock saddle, Corbin Dual Canyon, and Russell Day-Long on my ST. Yes, I have to slide forward with the RDL. No, I don't mind it. It's a worthy trade-off.

I could not flat foot with the RDL (31 inch inseam) but could get the balls of my feet down. That was enough, so long as I was careful to observe my stopping points in advance.

but putting both feet down at a stop is the big issue.

That, in a nutshell, is your biggest problem. Learn to ride as though you took an MSF course and you will only need to put one foot down at 99% of stops - always the left foot. Not hard to learn the balancing act of doing that and you will be a far better rider for it. You will look like a professional rider - not like all those Harley guys sitting at intersections with two feet on the ground.

Of course, there are practical and safety reasons for this riding technique, but I'm not going into them here.

I should add that I also have an RDL - built to my 5'9" 32" inseam, so I'm no giant and I do have to slide forward to get my left foot flat on the road, whereas, if I needed to have both feet down, I'm on tippy toes too.

they do take some getting used to. I have had two brand new and two used ones. When you do a long ride is when you understand how great they are!

That, in a nutshell, is your biggest problem. Learn to ride as though you took an MSF course and you will only need to put one foot down at 99% of stops - always the left foot. Not hard to learn the balancing act of doing that and you will be a far better rider for it. You will look like a professional rider - not like all those Harley guys sitting at intersections with two feet on the ground.

WOW, someone that believes in one foot down. I just don't get the whole two foot flat foot thing.

I recently got a good deal on a used Russell Day Long (RDL) front seat. I haven't gotten to test it out much, but am not thrilled so far. The feel and riding position is not bad, but putting both feet down at a stop is the big issue. I have to slide forward to the tank to get both feet down, and even then I'm on my toes. The seat is at the lowest position. Is this typical for the RDL because of the side support, or is it potentially an issue with this particular one being fitted for a much different body type?

I guess I can see how the RDL might be more comfortable on long hauls, but for local rides it seems like a pain. For comparison, I just had a stock seat Spencerized. It allows me to nearly flat foot when stopped and feels pretty comfortable, but again have not gotten enough seat time for a decent evaluation.
Well, if you decide you don't like it let me know.

cyberwolf009 said:
I recently got a good deal on a used Russell Day Long (RDL) front seat. I haven't gotten to test it out much, but am not thrilled so far.
Those two sentences seem to be at crossed purposes. As noted RDL saddles are custom builds designed to fit the original owner. Sometimes that takes more than one rework. That it works for a second owner is a matter of some research some luck and personal preference. It's only a good deal if it works for you or you can sell it and get your money back if it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom