Nudged over

sstolten

SToltenberg
Bike
none
Last October I bought an '05 ST1300 from a person in Minnesota. I live in western South Dakota and had to wait about 3 weeks to pick it up. Needless to say, I was very excited to finally go get it. I picked it up at about 10pm on a Friday night from a friend who had ridden it for me to our hometown. I rode it around town a little bit to get a feel for it and headed to my Dad's place about 17 miles away. I got to his place fine despite strong, gusty cross winds and the deer I saw in the ditch.

The next day I rode around all day and had a great time. On sunday morning, I was just going to ride around town a little and get gas for my long trip (400+ miles on Monday). About 3 minutes from my Dad's house I was sitting at a stop sign preparing to make a left turn when a car came up from behind and tried to squeeze around to the right of me. The car's bumper and front quarterpanel contaced the right side saddle bag and pushed me to the ground. I couldn't believe it. An accident, sitting at a stop sign at about 10:30am on a sunday morning in a little town. I wasn't hurt and the saddle bag sustained cosmetic damage. The tipover wing got a little scratched up. But there was really no other damage to the bike. Those tip over wings are awesome. I was shocked to see that it had worked so well. I also found out that I could pick up the ST, so I learned a lot that day. It wasn't exactly how I planned to pick up my new motorcycle that weekend!

The woman who tipped me over called the cops and then confessed to the police officer that she had looked back at her daughter right before she hit me. She was charged with careless driving.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Good to here you are OK. I hope you got her insurance information.. Those bag covers are not cheap.
This reminds me that we all need to be aware of what is going on around us at all times Yes even when we are stopped and an intersection..

OP
OP
sstolten

sstolten

SToltenberg
Bike
none
Her insurance company did pay for a new saddle bag cover and tip over wing cover. So, all is well that ends well.:biker:

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
It's one thing to drop it yourself, but to have someone else push you over is just a crime! Here's your TOA!

I think my bike would have fallen to the left like yours did, but I would have fallen to the right onto the car mirror, at least :D Did you hit your helmet, she should get you a new one if you did.

OP
OP
sstolten

sstolten

SToltenberg
Bike
none
I fell over to the left and hit the street. My helmet must have hit the street too, because there was a tiny bit of paint scratched off of it that I hadn't seen before. The cop wouldn't include a picture of it in his report because it wasn't part of the bike. I'm just going to use it as a good excuse to replace my HJC AC-11 with a Shoei RF-1000 pretty soon. Should the lady pay for it, maybe. But I don't plan to pursue the issue any further. The case is closed as far as I'm concerned. Live and learn and three cheers for the tipover wings!

Top Bottom