Officer survived

Bike
2009 ST1300
these are two separate issues, unfortunate for both parties, you know I always like to imagine that the full responsibility or like we used to describe it; blame / accountability resides in a 100 point bucket; there's an amount of responsibility on each part so I think,
But, and there's always a but, anyone whether you're a girl or a boy, or you like to play one on tv, that leaves another person after a collision needs to have a hard look at themself; first of all as a human being and maybe secondly legally.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
An often overlooked point is that in most every 'accident' at least one of those involved had an opportunity to avoid it altogether.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
You're making a base assumption not supported by any facts revealed so far. I'll make an assumption that you believe once a person has made a mistake it's impossible for them to learn from it. So one made 19 years ago proves sooner or later she'll do it again. That if she was impaired then she must be impaired this time. Is that a fair assumption?

Maybe. Do you know how fast he was traveling and if it was reckless or negligent or otherwise contributory under those conditions? I'd say an AI would show his speed was not only not a primary collision factor but not a factor at all. Not any more than choosing to drive down that particular street when he did. Still a defense lawyer would try to spin that.
Hmmm........ sorry, but bit of a rant here IMO. If all ST-Owners members were restricted to posting only 100% verifiable facts vs opinions, assumptions, impressions or musings then there would be about 95% fewer posts.

Given the circumstances I'm comfortable making the assumption that she may have been impaired (again) when the accident occured. About 30% - 35% of 1st time DUI convicted have a second offense. Is it possible that she is one of the 65% - 70% who learn their lesson and never drink and drive again? Maybe, but after all, she did leave a person lying injured in the street, while she made her escape. If I was inclined to give someone the benefit of the doubt it wouldn't be her.

When caught, she commented on the speed of the motorcycle, so clearly she saw it, but perhaps misjudged how close it was to her or how fast it was travelling due t o impairment. Or may not. She also says she planned to turn herself in, but was apprehended before she could do that. Sure........

In the Toronto area we have many hit and run incidents and often the offenders turns themselves in to police the next day accompanied by their lawyer. In many cases the accident takes place late at night or early in the morning and the offender had been at a restaurant or bar drinking. Invariably they claim to have been drinking responsibly, but by the time they show up at the police station at least 12 - 18 hours have passed and they are completely sober, so nothing can be proved.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If all ST-Owners members were restricted to posting only 100% verifiable facts vs opinions, assumptions, impressions or musings then there would be about 95% fewer posts.
It's not a matter of restricting but of just calling out your assumptions and questioning them as not based on fact. Mainly because I'm a fact-based kind of guy and like to keep assumptions separate from fact.

ReSTored said:
In the Toronto area we have many hit and run incidents...
I can't think of many metropolitan areas that don't. As I said this is a forum so "anything goes" is pretty much inconsequential. But along with offering impressions/assumptions/opinions is questioning them when they seem to make a leap.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I do a lot of metropolitan area driving here in Vancouver / what we call the lower mainland and of course you get it all, but it's the pedestrian accidents that scare you the worst, we've got the west end where it's fashionable to just step off the curb without turning your head, especially if your with a friend. There's the downtown eastside which I guess is still the worst in North America, where they manage to corral the majority of homeless people seriously down on their luck along a few specific blocks along Hastings Street, it shocked me coming from Edmonton nearly thirty years ago has only gotten worse - another story, point they've finally reduced the speed limit in the area to 30k/hr, these are people who's whole world must go white or something when they recognize someone they need to meet up with across four lanes of traffic, they're almost as bad as the west enders.
But to some extent we're all bad in this mad rat race down here; everyone's under pressure and stress of some sort and you see it in everybody whether they're driving a truck or going to the star bucks.
A few weeks after I first started I was anticipating making a left downtown and before I entered the intersection my cell phone rang, I didn't even look at it but became distracted, I began making my left and stopped short of colliding with a pedestrian that was crossing at the same time. We looked at each other and realized that events had some how progressed a little too far in auto mode. I actually got out of my truck to a chorus of horns and apologized to the guy who said he wasn't paying attention either, looking down and walked off the curb.
It would have been entirely my fault and a few moments in time I'd always regret, gratefully it didn't happen and I was able to take a lesson from it that I don't let myself forget.
I like to imagine there are no accidents; collision happens at various intersections such as where impaired / not fit to drive intersects with just happens to be there / not paying quite enough attention, ignorant and stupid, holding my ground and not paying attention, texting and everything, and so on.
There was one of the worst I've seen on the 600 news yesterday, unusual cold and heavy snow dump for this area, girl holding a cup of coffee crosses first in front of car with dash cam along the right "lane" [lots of snow], then proceeds toward the center of the intersection and gets ploughed by a vehicle passing the dash cam along the right, loaded with snow and ice, rips through the red light light, doesn't slow down, gone.
The girl was fortunately tall enough she went over summersault, landed on her back - shoulders - back of head and neck into what may have been some snow in the middle of the intersection, gets up and made her way back to the corner, news said she didn't have "life threatening injuries" and was released from hospital, [but I worked at a hospital, that doesn't really mean anything].
One of the things that saved her was she finally did see it coming; by then she couldn't back up but she didn't go down thank god.

Top Bottom