Oil filter removal tool ST1100

Robdlouisville

Rob in Louisville, KY
Bike
2000 St1100
Hi all, this may have already been posted. I've had my ST1100 since end of June 2012. Today I changed all the fluids for the first time. Thanks to this forum, all the maintenance was easy. I removed the oil filter using this tool: KD part #3253. Goes on the end of the filter and twists off easily. You can get it about anywhere for about $6.50 U.S. dollars. Hope this helps someone. Rob D.

41TzJlIadJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'll have to look for something similar that may be available here in Canada ... today I tried 4 different types of filter wrenches including one similar to that posted by Rob and nothing will budge the oil filter on my ST1100 in the slightest. If I can't get the filter off with any of these conventional methods the only thing I can think of is to destroy it, carefully peeling it apart so I can relieve the tension that's holding it to the oil cooler bolt. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I used a strap type oil filter wrench on my ST1100. Use it on my cars and my ST1300 too. Very versatile.

I've had to do the "screwdriver through the filter" thing more than once! Had one that I used a chisel and hammer against the edge to twist it off. Strap wrench usually does it for me, but I have a couple of the filter sockets too.

If it gets to that point, just drive a screwdriver through it and twist it off. (That's destroying it)

The downside to destroying the oil filter being I wouldn't then be able to get my ST up the ramp and into the back of my Avalanche for a trip to the dealer so they could come up with a solution. I tried 5 different styles of oil filter wrenches, including one like Mellow prefers, but nothing would budge the filter, UNTIL I found a metal cap style filter wrench just like that mentioned by Rob. I lightly tapped the cap wrench on to the end of the banged up filter I was trying to get off, stuck on a 3/8" short extension and ratchet, put a breaker bar on the ratchet wrench and bingo, the filter came off with almost no effort at all. I couldn't believe it! ... but I'm a believer now! This oil filter wrench oughta be in every ST owner's toolbox! :D

Attachments

• P1050149.jpg
    P1050149.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P1050150.jpg
    P1050150.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 5
Cap style works for the 1300 as well.
Usually it's the 1st honda installed filter that's the real battle.

If the can distorted and then the screw driver trick didn't work (some have twisted the can right off the base plate of the filter) the chisel on the base plate should do yah. Same idea as a couple of tangential wacks with the back of a knive on a stuck jar lid.

Then follow the instructions on the filter box don't torque the next one on LOL

I use this with good success.

strap_filter_wrench_1_1.jpg
:plus1: I prefer this type of wrench, it is quick and easy. I have the cap type wrench also, but that requires another tool... the ratchet. I also have a chain wrench, a nylon strap wrench, screwdriver, chisel, chain saw, jack hammer, etc. But really I do prefer this wrench.:D:D:D

Here is a tip I've used and shared many times...

On the really stubborn ones, use any of the mentioned tools you have available. Give it a good solid turning pressure. If it doesn't give right away, just hold the pressure steady on it for 20 or 30 seconds. Try again. You should not jerk or yank when using this method. It may take a few tries, but almost always, the rubber washer/seal will slowly start to give.

I use this method multiple times a week. Some of the equipment I service has as many as 11 spin on filters up to 8 inch diameter. Installed in the woods by 3 fingered Joe using any thing he can to put as much torque on it as he can! I have not had to destroy a filter in years.

At home I service a Ranger, Taurus, Focus, Century, Sedona, ST, and a Magna. I only use my five fingered filter wrench/nose picker to remove and install all of my personal oil filters. Your milage may vary.

Joel

On the really stubborn ones, use any of the mentioned tools you have available. Give it a good solid turning pressure. If it doesn't give right away, just hold the pressure steady on it for 20 or 30 seconds. Try again. You should not jerk or yank when using this method. It may take a few tries, but almost always, the rubber washer/seal will slowly start to give.

I never realized I was doing this, but now that I think back, it DOES work. On my Acura, the filter is VERY hard to get a wrench on...but with a steady pressure over a short period, it always comes off. Thanks for a good hint!!

Back
Top Bottom