Oil leak under water pump

This leak occurred between last night and this morning. Leaving a huge oil spot. Looks like coming from under the water pump. I read on here that it might be from the valley between the cylinders but I don’t see oil in the gap between the water pump and case coming from the top. It’s Only just below the water pump. But it’s a lot. I didn’t see any coming out of the weep hole either. Ugh I just spent an hour or so yesterday putting all the covers back on and thought I could finally ride this thing without worrying.

Attachments

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That looks like coolant to me. Which would mean you have a leaking clamp in the valley.

Do some research on coolant leaks, here on the forum.

To possibly fix it; You'll need to make sure you have a half or less of gas in your tank, lift the front of the tank and use the tank prop to prop up the front of it. Then remove the airbox, completely, but not necessarily the throttlebody! There is a rubber heat dam between the radiator and throttlebody, held down by three bendable clips. Open the clips, and pull the rubber air dam back. That exposes your thermostat and hoses. Start looking around there for your leak.

Good luck!

OP
OP
JustinD
Thanks for the advice! I did just replace the thermostat and cover and hoses so maybe they are leaking. Crap ‍♂ But it was definitely motor oil, I sprayed brake kleen to clean it and that was drips of brakleen. But it was very runny so maybe it was a mix of both. Thanks for your help. I read another thread on here about some plug at the top of the motor? I couldn’t find it on the parts schematic for the crank case, think that might be a possible cause?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you think it's oil, did you have the valve covers off? Pinch a gasket?

OP
OP
JustinD
If you think it's oil, did you have the valve covers off? Pinch a gasket?
No not at all. All I did was bleed the brakes and clutch. Flush and fill the coolant and replace the thermostat and cover and 2 radiator hoses. There’s hasn’t been any leak untill last night. My driveway is at an angle and the bike is on the center stand facing uphill. I’ve only put 13 miles on it since putting the plastics back on, and of course now there’s a leak lol

Bike
2010 ST1300
If it was not leaking before, and all you did was change hoses, stat and coolant, my bet would be a coolant leak. But you are sure it is anti freeze and not motor oil? If so, I'd pull the fairing and start looking before I pulled the tank and started looking from above. Clean it all off, dust w/ talcum powder (not Johnson's Baby Powder - you don't want the bike to get cancer) and run the bike on your driveway for 10 to 15 min (no tupperware). Check coolant and oil levels first and clutch and brake reservoirs for giggles. Brake fluid is more oily than coolant and is thinner than oil.

OP
OP
JustinD
If it was not leaking before, and all you did was change hoses, stat and coolant, my bet would be a coolant leak. But you are sure it is anti freeze and not motor oil? If so, I'd pull the fairing and start looking before I pulled the tank and started looking from above. Clean it all off, dust w/ talcum powder (not Johnson's Baby Powder - you don't want the bike to get cancer) and run the bike on your driveway for 10 to 15 min (no tupperware). Check coolant and oil levels first and clutch and brake reservoirs for giggles. Brake fluid is more oily than coolant and is thinner than oil.
My first thought was brake fluid. But it was warm. With it getting dark so fast and with work it’s hard to mess with it now. Last week would have been perfect but it had to rain and ruin all the nice days. Next chance I get I’m going to do what y’all recommend. Take all the plastics back off and just watch it lol

OP
OP
JustinD
I’m pretty sure it’s oil I started it and moved it from my driveway to the sidewalk to change the oil since the sidewalk is level. And while it was warming up it left a big brown puddle. I used the Asian blue coolant in it and it didn’t look anything that that. But it was thin and runny. Hopefully I can check tomorow. Thanks guys

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’m pretty sure it’s oil I started it and moved it from my driveway to the sidewalk to change the oil since the sidewalk is level. And while it was warming up it left a big brown puddle. I used the Asian blue coolant in it and it didn’t look anything that that. But it was thin and runny. Hopefully I can check tomorow. Thanks guys

Okay, one last go for coolant. When that coolant comes down from the Vee, it has a LOT of crud that it is "washing" down with it, therefore it will change to a dirty looking leak and not that blue stuff you put in there.

Also, with years of experience with these bikes, if your oil wasn't leaking before and you didn't do anything (like checking valves, etc) an oil leak doesn't just happen, and very seldom does it leak from that plug in the valley. Not saying it isn't possible, just not likely!

I was looking for the picture I have of that plug, but I can't find it...

But here are some coolant leaks I have had...

Coolant-leak-s.jpg

Leak-11232009.JPG

Thermostat-leak-s.jpg

Good luck!

OP
OP
JustinD
Oh I see what you mean! The pic under the pump looks like what I’ve got. Thanks man I will update if I figure out what it is

OP
OP
JustinD
Ok quick update. You guys were right. It’s definitely Coolant and NOT oil I was completely wrong! And it was brown from all the gunk in there. Now to find where it’s coming from....

OP
OP
JustinD
I don’t see anything coming down the the valley itself. I believe the water pump cover is the culprit. Everything seems dry except for that bottom corner. The last picture is the puddle after 10 minutes of idle

Attachments

OP
OP
JustinD
I did see the left side hose going into the thermostat was a bit wet and had a few drips under it but didn’t see anything while it was running. It only seems to leak when it’s running. I do have that hose so I’m going to throw it on and it it still leaks under the pump I’m going to replace that o-ring which is on order. I hope I’m not annoying you guys.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did see the left side hose going into the thermostat was a bit wet and had a few drips under it but didn’t see anything while it was running. It only seems to leak when it’s running. I do have that hose so I’m going to throw it on and it it still leaks under the pump I’m going to replace that o-ring which is on order. I hope I’m not annoying you guys.
Glad you were able to figure it out. One thing you can do, if your tank is half full or less, is to prop up the tank and get under the air box and look for your leaks from above. Sometimes you can and some times you can't see it.

OP
OP
JustinD
Glad you were able to figure it out. One thing you can do, if your tank is half full or less, is to prop up the tank and get under the air box and look for your leaks from above. Sometimes you can and some times you can't see it.
Yea I did. The only thing I could really see wrong after lifting up that rubber flap was that one hose was we and dripping. If something else is leaking behind that I couldn’t see it haha I had it running with the air box off to look for leaks but didn’t even see the wet hose leaking. But I replaced it anyways and all seems well for now. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom