Open Heart Surgery

Ride55

Rocky
STOC #
As I see many of the people here are around my age, I thought I would share this story.

Last October I was feeling a bit light headed and coughing a bit. Neither was very severe so I pretty much ignored it. I caught a cold and thought that was it. After the cold was gone, i was still feeling the same way, so I went to the doctor. Mostly thinking I might have a small lung infection and I did not want that getting in the way of my skiing in January. He did his exam and sent me to the hospital for an Echo-cardiogram of my heart. It turned out that I had Severe Stenosis of the Aortic Valve. The aortic valve should be about 2 cm across, and mine was about 1/2 cm.

The long and the short of its that I probably had about two to four months to live, and then would have probably dropped dead while shoveling snow or skiing.

I was put on the short list for surgery. From the Echo to surgery was about 4 weeks, and I was back at work about 3 1/2 weeks after the open heart surgery. They replaced the valve with a Mechanical one.

I was in good hands. The surgeon regularly does open heart surgery on babies as young as a few minutes old. It was at the Mazenkowski Heart Institute in Edmonton.

What is odd, is that my excellent health is what saved me, and also what almost killed me. I have never smoked, drink very little, exercise regular and eat very well. My good health kept me going, but it also kept away any other symptom.

Of course, this kind of experience always causes one to stop and rethink what is, and what is not, important. Riding a Roadliner around town not important, riding a ST1300 to all the places I have said I would go, important. Hence, the selling of the Roadliner, and the search for the ST.

I like to say now that the volume of things that I no longer care about would stun an Oxen in its tracks.

Anyway, the next time you think you have a persistent cold, remember this story.

Wow 55, glad you made it through this. Hope your prognosis is good.

There is a good value on a 2002 ST1100ABS in Classifieds right now.

Jim

I like to say now that the volume of things that I no longer care about would stun an Oxen in its tracks

This statement is one of the most profound things I have read in a while regardless of how you came to feel this way. I have pretty made this my approach to most things, only wish I cold have learned at a young age to be this way

this might just become a/my tag line

I had a tripple bypass 2 1/2 years ago and I feel much better now. I however have put on a bit of weight that I really need to get rid of. I love my ST but in the last 3 months I have been riding a bicycle. Last Saturday I rode 8 miles and will ride some more once it cools down a bit. But I don't know how good it really does if when I m done I get on the STeed and ride for pie. LOL !!! On must shed the usless burdens and make the most of life as "Life is too short not to have fun while you are here" so ride the ST to all those places you talked about and have fun while your doing it!!

The prognosis is excellent, but it does take time to come back from major surgery like this one. Every month I feel a lot better than I did the month before. I am going to start going to the gym in September as i want to go skiing this winter and need to get the body working. I also need to build up my endurance for the road trip I want to do next year.

Use the tag line gladly Tom. I stole it from someone else....;)

Thanks for the friendly reminder. If we all listened to what our bodies were telling us we'd be a lot better off.

John

A very interesting tale.... glad you are well on the way to recovery, thank you for sharing your experience.

I'd get that red 1100 that's up for sale, that one's good to go, for a long time......

A very interesting tale.... glad you are well on the way to recovery, thank you for sharing your experience.

I'd get that red 1100 that's up for sale, that one's good to go, for a long time......

Yes, it sure does look like one fine ride. The quandary is I am undecided if I buy new or used.

I am slightly leaning towards new.

I am slightly leaning towards new.

The only problem with that line of reasoning is they no longer make the 1100 :D
Glad you are doing well. It has been 11 years since my Valve job. The only down side is always messing with the I.N.R. checks.

Ya, the INR has been a struggle. I think I finally have that under control. It seems to be staying at 3.5 and my range is 2.5.

What I hate is when mine changes. I never remember missing a dose but a couple times a year we chase it around like they are trying to establish my dosage for the first time. It sure would be nice if it was just 5 mg a day or what ever and be done with it.

Amazing stuff, thanks for reminding us we need to always take care of ourselves.

Amazing stuff, thanks for reminding us we need to always take care of ourselves.

U-bet. The lesson for me was that I thought I was able to diagnose my own health issue. I wasn't. And it almost ended not only my riding days, but all my days.

Sometimes, we're not as smart as we think we are... happens to me all the time... :(

What I hate is when mine changes. I never remember missing a dose but a couple times a year we chase it around like they are trying to establish my dosage for the first time. It sure would be nice if it was just 5 mg a day or what ever and be done with it.

When it was first bouncing around, it was not being monitored close enough and it cost me two TIA's (mini-strokes), and I ended up in the hospital with the second one for about four days for observation. Now my family doctor watches it (as opposed to the clinic) like a hawk and it seems to be much better. I lost my Drivers License for six weeks and my commercial DL until the end of October because of it. It is one of the reasons I am also not in a hurry to get a bike just yet. I want to make sure that all is good before I start flitting off on long distance voyages.

I often wonder how consistent the test analysis is. I don't claim to know what is involved but there have been a couple times that the value was WAY off the mark.

Glad you had the wherewithall to get yourself to a hospital.
I'm also glad that the procedure went well and you are/have recovered well.
The human condition is really quite fragile.
Hope you get an ST and get to those locations you've been thinking about.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom