Pan European ST1100 ABS Fault

Hi there! First of all, im new in the forum, my name is Jorge, and I looking for some help for the ABS of my ST1100. I did the code retrieval procedure, and it blinked 1 time, so I figured out it is "Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system", but I dont know very much about mechanics and I'm a bit lost. Can someone help me? Where I should start? Thanks, have a good day!

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hi there! First of all, im new in the forum, my name is Jorge, and I looking for some help for the ABS of my ST1100. I did the code retrieval procedure, and it blinked 1 time, so I figured out it is "Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system", but I dont know very much about mechanics and I'm a bit lost. Can someone help me? Where I should start? Thanks, have a good day!
Hi Jorge, this may be useful to you.

Attachments

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Hi there! First of all, im new in the forum, my name is Jorge, and I looking for some help for the ABS of my ST1100. I did the code retrieval procedure, and it blinked 1 time, so I figured out it is "Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system", but I don't know very much about mechanics and I'm a bit l onost. Can someone help me? Where I should start? Thanks, have a good day!
Hi!! I am so grateful for your interest. The year of the bike is 1995. Thank you very much.
Hi Jorge, this may be useful to you.
Jorge,
Please look at the steering head and post here the first twelve characters of the 17 in your frame number, as in
JH2SC26 ....
Assuming 1995, you looked at the wrong codes list, and the one someone attached is wrong because it is marked "after 1995" , as Phil noted.

You don't have ABS II. You don't have a crank angle sensor.
Honda calls it ABS/TCS.
Again, I want those next five characters.
The Haynes manual may NOT help, but the Honda one should if after i1991.

Thanks to all who posted.

ALL, it looks as if he needs a copy of Section 16-A of the Honda service manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jorge,
Please look at the steering head and post here the first twelve characters of the 17 in your frame number, as in
JH2SC26 ....
Assuming 1995, you looked at the wrong codes list, and the one someone attached is wrong because it is marked "after 1995" , as Phil noted.

You don't have ABS II. You don't have a crank angle sensor.
Honda calls it ABS/TCS.
Again, I want those next five characters.
The Haynes manual may NOT help, but the Honda one should if after i1991.

Thanks to all who posted.

ALL, it looks as if he needs a copy of Section 16-A of the Honda service manual.
Hi, the first 12 numbers of the steering head code are: JH2SC2687OM5
I also attach a video of my ST1100, where you can see the buzzing sound and the ABS leds. (they are not mounted, as you can see):
Thanks for your help!!

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hi Jorge, the info I sent you explains that the lights should go out ONLY when you are moving forward, that is actually riding the bike. Uncle Phil may be able to advise you better than me as he is much more experienced with ABS than I am and has several STs.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
ABS 1 1992-1995 trouble codes taken from Clymer pg 503
1 Faulty front hydraulic pressure circuit
2 Faulty rear hydraulic pressure circuit
3 Faulty front Hydraulic control system
4 Faulty rear Hydraulic control system
5 Faulty front wheel speed sensor system
6 Faulty rear wheel speed sensor system
7 Faulty ABS main relay
8 Faulty power circuit
9 Faulty control unit (ECU)

Attachments

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
He has a 1995 Spanish ST1100AS where S is the year code.

I think the ABS light should come on steady and not go out until about 8 km per hour. The blinking and fault code mean a defect, I think,

The buzzing is probably a pump operating in a modulator. It is not normally loud compared to engine noise, but maybe Jorge put the microphone near the pump. If so, the buzzing sound is good news.

Where to start‽
Owner manual after 1991 for how ABS lights should light up, go out, and not blink.

Honda service manual after 1991. If after 1995, read only the 1992 to 1995 section.

Make sure he knows procedure for getting correct fault codes and clearing out the older codes.
Then post results here.

For a parts list, visit www.cmsnl.com or
www.st-1100.com . On the latter, select Menu, then Parts Fiches.
Get translator as needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom