Pan European st1300 rear seat release latch

The rear seat release / retaining latch is not catching the rear seat when put on. I've had a quick look, and it's not fully out. Moved the cable around , and it moves a little. After advice / help on the best way to fix, also any video links to this being done. Many thanks.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Check the cable where it hooks to the release mechanism under the side faring to ensure it hasn't popped out of the holder.

There's a thread here somewhere about a bloke having this same sort of issue after removing the latch bracket.

OP
OP
Check the cable where it hooks to the release mechanism under the side faring to ensure it hasn't popped out of the holder.

There's a thread here somewhere about a bloke having this same sort of issue after removing the latch bracket.
Thank you. I'll check that.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you mean the seat isn't locking in position ?

If so 3 reasons that I can think of.

Cable outer is pulled too tight - ie ends not seated correctly
Trim clips / JIS shoulder screws are not holding the rear cowl properly in position
Something is jamming the latch

This might help:

If you mean that the rear seat is locking onto the loop under the seat - then any of the above - plus the loop is bent - usually caused by trying to slam the seat down when it didn't want to latch.
It can be bent in such a way that the loop doesn't align with the slot with the latch, or the bottom par of the U loop has a kink making it more like a flatted W.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Do you mean the seat isn't locking in position ?

If so 3 reasons that I can think of.

Cable outer is pulled too tight - ie ends not seated correctly
Trim clips / JIS shoulder screws are not holding the rear cowl properly in position
Something is jamming the latch

This might help:

If you mean that the rear seat is locking onto the loop under the seat - then any of the above - plus the loop is bent - usually caused by tring to slam the seat down when it didn't want to latch.
It can be bent in such a way that the loop doesn't align with the slot with the latch, or the bottom par of the U loop has a kink making it more like a flatted W.
Very helpful, thank you.

Top Bottom