Penske vs Progressive shock

Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Getting ready to have all suspension redone on my 91. After a 9 day 2up ride last fall I knew it was over due. I was thinking of going the Progressive 465 series shock but my mechanic doing the work says the Penske is FAR better for performance, ride quality and longevity. Not sure about justifying a shock thats 2-3 times more expensive. Anyone have any experience between the two?

Thanks

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Getting ready to have all suspension redone on my 91. After a 9 day 2up ride last fall I knew it was over due. I was thinking of going the Progressive 465 series shock but my mechanic doing the work says the Penske is FAR better for performance, ride quality and longevity. Not sure about justifying a shock thats 2-3 times more expensive. Anyone have any experience between the two?

Thanks
No experience with the Penske shock, but curious to see what others have to say. Coming from a sport bike environment myself, I find it difficult to justify anything 'performance' oriented when it comes to the ST, its just not a performance bike when it comes to either handling, or engine power. The longevity issue might justify the cost if its really true, but on a bike that's already 22 years old how many more years do you really need the shock to last. Also, my own experience of changing shocks on many bikes over the years is that the shock just doesn't seem to make that much of a difference in handling, but I'm sure others will disagree. And if you're going from a totally shot shock to a new one, that will make a difference, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'll also say that I don't ride 2-up, so can't comment on that aspect.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
The previous owner put a Progressive shock on mine sometime before 2008 when I got the bike. I am still very happy with it.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I have a custom built Penske shock on my ST1100 and have been very satisfied with it... will I ever maximize the full potential of the shock...Nah! but the handling is great. Others that have 1100's have ridden my bike for a comparison, agree it is a very good performer. Other than stock, the penske shock is the only other shock that I've any experience with. Hope you find on that suits you.

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I put on the Progressive 465 last summer before a trip to Maine and am very happy with it. I can't help you with any two-up riding but between it and the worn out OEM, there simply is no comparison. I can say it is very well built, rebuildable and pretty to lQQk at. As for longevity, that remains to be seen on my 25YO ST. I have no plans to replace her anytime soon and in fact am now addressing the front suspension with Traxxion AK-20 cartridges. Going to a buddy's to use his lathe to polish the fork tubes this morning. Should have the front end back together today...

I upgraded to full RaceTech suspension on a 1995 ST1100. It took a while to get the rear shock set up properly but there is no comparison to stock. I now roll over the expansion joints & bumps, still feel the big jolts but the sharp edge is gone & the bike holds its line even when we hit a big bump in a corner. Being able to set both the low speed (small) and high speed (big) bump compression damping allows you to fine tune the suspension for you. I have it set pretty compliant but there is no bouncing, no bottoming, just a great smooth ride.

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
I have the Progressive 465 shock on my bike. I think it's been on there for 2 years now. I ride 2 up alot and it did make a difference. At approx. the same time I replaced the fork springs with Sonic springs and change the fork oil.
Both things combined made a pretty big difference in handling in my opinion. Much more stable and planted feeling in turns and at speed.

OP
OP
IndyST
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the input guys... my mechanic got the bike Wednesday and I gave him a pretty long hit list. Gonna order the Progressive 465 in the next day or two. It will be a couple weeks before its fininshed. I'll post some thoughts after evaluating the new suspension & brakes.

Bike
ST1100, BMW GSA
I had a 91 some years ago that I installed a WP rear shock on and it was fine. I just bought a 96 1100 with a Penske and it is really nice. I came from riding sportbikes and big adventure touring bikes and I rode my 91 harder than the bike was meant to be ridden on aggressive sport tours. If I ever choose to ride the 96 that way, I am sure the Penske will perform even better than my WP did. The level of documentation that comes with the shock is incredible. Those folks would appear to be highly technical and almost overwhelming with good data for an interested customer to absorb. One thing to remember is the front forks seem to get weak at about the same time as the back, or maybe its just steering head bearings, or the old problem of improving one end forces you to upgrade the other as well. Probably good to do the bearing upgrades about the same time. I need to do it on the one I just bought and will search the forum for some tech insight.

OP
OP
IndyST
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Got the ST back a week ago last Friday. Can't belive the difference! 400 mi 2up, 300 mi solo. Lots of maintenance items done but most notable was suspension. Progressive 465 on the rear and front end rebuilt with new straight rate springs (Race Tech) and stem bearings. No head shake, no wobble, no excessive sag, and smooth over the bumps. The rear doesn't bottom out while 2up and man does it handle. Took it out for a test ride (solo) after the first 200 mi 2up... '07 VFR for sale!!! I rode it hard on the southern Indiana roads to see if it was worth what I spent... '07 VFR for sale. Seriously, the ST can be ridden as hard as I like. Still playing with the preload and rebound dampening on the rear. For those on the fence about replacing the soft Honda springs... do it.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Got the ST back a week ago last Friday. Can't belive the difference! 400 mi 2up, 300 mi solo. Lots of maintenance items done but most notable was suspension. Progressive 465 on the rear and front end rebuilt with new straight rate springs (Race Tech) and stem bearings. No head shake, no wobble, no excessive sag, and smooth over the bumps. The rear doesn't bottom out while 2up and man does it handle. Took it out for a test ride (solo) after the first 200 mi 2up... '07 VFR for sale!!! I rode it hard on the southern Indiana roads to see if it was worth what I spent... '07 VFR for sale. Seriously, the ST can be ridden as hard as I like. Still playing with the preload and rebound dampening on the rear. For those on the fence about replacing the soft Honda springs... do it.
Hi, glad I just found this thread,it has answered alot of questions I have been kicking around, I can get a 465 for just $40 more than a new oem showa, do you know what weight fork oil was installed with your new race tech fork springs? thanks

OP
OP
IndyST
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
I asked my mechanic to use 10 wt but I didn't verify thats what he used.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I asked my mechanic to use 10 wt but I didn't verify thats what he used.
Yeah I would favour using 10 wt myself, that's what I used on my vfr recently, how do you find changing the preload when you go from solo riding to 2 up?

that is the only thing that's putting me of getting the progressive 465 over the new oem. on the oem it's just a matter of flicking the preload around with the C spanner,
from what I have read its a slow process turning the preload up on the 465. thanks

Bike
'97 ST1100
Probably obvious...I have a 97 st1100 that I recently purchased. Can anyone tell me how to tell if my rear shock is original? Or an upgrade?

Top Bottom