Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Review

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have run dark side for quite some time and have had Hankooks, Michelins, and Bridgestone Drive Guard Run Flats on the bike. I didn't have any real complaints about those tires, at least not like I did with the Triple Treads which were way too squared off and too wide. By far I've done more miles on Bridgestones as i loved the idea of being able to ride to civilization even with a flat. But this spring I decided to look about for other options that might be a bit cushier. The run flat's down side is extremely stiff sidewalls. After spending way too many hours reading tire reviews I decided to give the Pirelli Cinturato P7 a try. Of course the reviews do not mention how well they perform on a motorcycle (why not??)

My impressions after 2,000 miles: The sidewalls are a bit more forgiving which is good but takes a little getting used to when accustomed to very stiff tires. The tires handle well in wet and dry and for the most part you forget they're there -- a good quality in a car tire. The most impressive thing about them was that the transition from bike tire to car tire was very easy. Normally, there is a 30 minute/30 mile period of "holy crap I've gone back to a car tire" but with these it was more like a half block. These tires are more rounded on the shoulders and take less effort to lean and turn. I've never had such an easy transition with the bridgestones or any other car tire.

After 2,000 miles I can't tell that they've even gone a mile. The tread is deep on these tires and I am hoping to get in the high 30's on mileage. I'll report back later on that one. So far they are a thumbs up.

Bike
04 ST1300A
Bob, can you please describe the ease or difficulty of mounting and installation this CT? And please describe how well it fits?

I have run dark side for quite some time and have had Hankooks, Michelins, and Bridgestone Drive Guard Run Flats on the bike. I didn't have any real complaints about those tires, at least not like I did with the Triple Treads which were way too squared off and too wide. By far I've done more miles on Bridgestones as i loved the idea of being able to ride to civilization even with a flat. But this spring I decided to look about for other options that might be a bit cushier. The run flat's down side is extremely stiff sidewalls. After spending way too many hours reading tire reviews I decided to give the Pirelli Cinturato P7 a try. Of course the reviews do not mention how well they perform on a motorcycle (why not??)

My impressions after 2,000 miles: The sidewalls are a bit more forgiving which is good but takes a little getting used to when accustomed to very stiff tires. The tires handle well in wet and dry and for the most part you forget they're there -- a good quality in a car tire. The most impressive thing about them was that the transition from bike tire to car tire was very easy. Normally, there is a 30 minute/30 mile period of "holy crap I've gone back to a car tire" but with these it was more like a half block. These tires are more rounded on the shoulders and take less effort to lean and turn. I've never had such an easy transition with the bridgestones or any other car tire.

After 2,000 miles I can't tell that they've even gone a mile. The tread is deep on these tires and I am hoping to get in the high 30's on mileage. I'll report back later on that one. So far they are a thumbs up.
What size did you go with? Any RPM differences?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't have these on my bike, but they do not appear to be a symmetric pattern for the tread unlike the other brands people run. They do seem to have well rounded shoulders.

1668804983317.png

Bike
Honda ST11 gl1800
I have a Cinturato on my GL1800 with over 7,000 miles on it and the review from Jodog is pretty well accurate. It is my two up bike for the wife and I and I have no complaints about the handling and wear thus far. I would say that 16-18,000 miles might be more realistic for the Wing riding two up and running 36-38 pounds of air. FWIW just my 2 cents. Ken

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, can you please describe the ease or difficulty of mounting and installation this CT? And please describe how well it fits?
Mounting is super easy -- i just take them to the local honda shop. Of course that's the most expensive option. I got used to this with the Bridgestone fun flats as they are impossible to mount by hand, and very difficult with a tire machine. The pirelli's first side just slides on, and i think I could manage getting it mounted at home alone. It seats itself.

Bob

Also if possible, can you share the tyre pressures you run at present? I’ll probably do another 2k miles on the next 6 weeks and then would like to try Michelin 130/70B18 63H Commander III Touring Motorcycle Tyre 130/70x18 on the front and Pirelli Cinturato P7 XL (205/50 R17 93W) on the rear.

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Thanks for posting this jodog, seriously thinking of going dark side on my next tire. When I bought my ST, I took it for a test ride, and it handled terrible, I had ridden one before and couldn't remember it handling so bad, just didn't want to turn. Got back from the ride, and look at the tires, rear was totally worn out in center, totally flat across. They put new tires on, and wow, handling was back. But that experience has kind of scared me to the use of a car tire. I'm might try that Pirelli though

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Technically when mounting a rear tyre on the front, you are exerting the forces on the tyre in the opposite direction to the rear.... so the rear undergoes acceleration so the forces are in the direction of the rotation arrows, on the front the main force is under braking so exerts the force in the opposite direction to acceleration on the rear....

It's all about the tyre construction and what it was specifically designed and built to do from a casing and tread pattern perspective.

Not done so much these days in the UK but was more prominent years ago when tyre technology was somewhat different, as were bikes......

Hopefully this makes sense!

Top Bottom