Post Your Electrical Farkle Pics

Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
You just need a a power source to operate the relay to your fuse block that's only ON when the key is either on or in the Accessory position and the red/white wire from the Accessory fuse fits the bill perfectly.
Where might a guy look to find this wire? I don't have a wiring diagram handy, and I'd probably read it upside down anyway. Do you by chance have a pic of your connection? Thanks.

Bike
THE XX BIRD
STOC #
Where might a guy look to find this wire? I don't have a wiring diagram handy, and I'd probably read it upside down anyway. Do you by chance have a pic of your connection? Thanks.
He tells you in this post.
I ended up powering the switched power to the relay, (#85 on the relay), off the 15 amp Accessory fuse on the fuse box. It's the third fuse in from the front of the bike. If you pull out the whole fuse box, you can tap into the red/white wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse. The fuse box is under the plastic by your left thigh on the bike. You only have to remove three allen head bolts. Using the accessory fuse will allow you to power your farkles with the key in the Accessory position as well as the ON postion.I]

Bumping an ancient post because it's one of the top results when searching for which wire to use as a trigger for an auxiliary wiring relay.
If you pull out the whole fuse box, you can tap into the red/white wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse.
It's probably better to tap into the red/green wire. The red/white wire is only protected by the main fuse B (65A), so if your trigger wire ever shorts out you'll be left with a blown main fuse. Instead, tap into the red/green 15A "acc/turn" wire, which is a fused output from the red/white circuit:

20230817_191008.jpg

20230817_184320.jpg

Screenshot_20230818_075211_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Red/green will be hot in with the ignition switch in the on and acc positions. Alternatively, Red/black will only be hot in the on position.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So in the above diagram there's the Red/Green wire for IGN/ACC switch positions and Red/Black for IGN only switch position. What wire would be uses for ACC only? Way down the electril avenue a farkle may be to wire the position lights and one rear facing LED to ACC.

My CL77 ran the tail light when switched to ACC. I seldom used it because it was a battery killer. But kick-start never failed me. I don't recall a position light in the front. I thought some bike had a small lamp in the headlight shell similar to the old VW bugs. Anyway I don't know when Honda stopped connecting the tail light to ACC but it was probably for the best.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My CL77 ran the tail light when switched to ACC. I seldom used it because it was a battery killer. But kick-start never failed me. I don't recall a position light in the front. I thought some bike had a small lamp in the headlight shell similar to the old VW bugs. Anyway I don't know when Honda stopped connecting the tail light to ACC but it was probably for the best.
It was actually a parking light for visibility in case you had to park the bike near the road.

We had no accessories back then.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It was actually a parking light for visibility in case you had to park the bike near the road.
Geeze no kidding. But Honda still got rid of it because it really wasn't much use given the battery size and the draw of a 5W incan.

I used the OEM fuse block for power source several times, the open area next to battery is where the ABS is located if you have it. I don't so I have a couple of relays in that spot close to the battery that feed my front plug, and a separate relay block in the trunk for extra turn signal, brake, park lights and charging plug inside trunk.
Going to put weather pack plug under seat so the trunk can be removed easily.

What wire would be uses for ACC only?
I don't think there is one. Red/white *is* the acc circuit. If you wanted to isolate only the acc ignition position, I think you'd have to do some trickery using a couple of relays chained together.

That said, as I understand it, the 'acc' ignition position is more like that of a car than the 'park' position on older motorcycles, which was intended to allow you to keep marker lights on with the key removed.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I just finished adding a fuse block with separate relay, this week. Since my bike had the quartet harness already installed, I tapped into the light green wire from the red connector, coming off the quartet harness. I ran that wire to trigger a new relay, that’s zip tied to the frame, just above the battery. Fuse block is in the tail.

John

IMG_0449.jpeg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Red/white *is* the acc circuit.
Hm. The idea would be to illuminate three LED bulbs with ACC on. If they were connected to the Red/Green they'd be on in either position and there's no downside to that.

As long as nothing else was activated but those lights when switched to the ACC position then Red/Green is all I need.

That said, as I understand it, the 'acc' ignition position is more like that of a car than the 'park' position on older motorcycles, which was intended to allow you to keep marker lights on with the key removed.
That would be the whole point of this exercise — adding parking lights to the bike via the ACC position.

In a car ACC does interior stuff - windows/sunroof/radio/etc. The headlight switch does the obvious and the parking lights. So I'd just be repurposing the ACC position.

I don't have a GPS or any other electrical so the ACC position is free. Maybe it powers the Honda radio that was available for some years in some places I dunno. As long as the headlights/coils/French press/Vulcan etc don't power up when ACC is used I'd be fine with that.

If I had to isolate the position bulbs ( they'd be LEDs at this point) I could probably do it with diodes.

Someone will refresh my memory but I think the 1300's key can be removed when in the ACC position. I wouldn't expect to be doing that so if it can't be removed it's not a deal breaker.

As long as nothing else was activated but those lights when switched to the ACC position then Red/Green is all I need.
Anything else powered by the red/green wire would get power. According to the wiring diagram, that includes 1) the 'option' terminal for the Quartet harness, 2) the turn signal relay, and 3) the dashboard/gauge cluster. In the 'acc' position, you can activate the turn signals or hazards. The multi-function display's backlight turns on, but only the clock is visible. The turn signal indicators will light up if the turn signal or hazard switch is activated.

Someone will refresh my memory but I think the 1300's key can be removed when in the ACC position.
I can't on my '05. The motorcycles I've owned that allowed that behavior were marked P or Park on the ignition switch.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Why would one need 12 accessory circuits/fuses... :think1:
Because 8 isn’t enough

1 GPS
2 CarPlay screen (2nd GPS)
3 USB charger for phone
4 Electronic cruise control
5 Heated gear
6 Fork lights
7 Sidecar headlamps (relocating from inline fuse)
8 Outlet for recharging jumpstart battery
9 Outlet for charging laptop
10 Heated gear #2
11 USB charge outlet in sidecar trunk
12 Sidecar trunk light

So for gps location always above dash you dont want to be looking down when riding. you can use a migsel mount or bikequip one. I used a quadlock bolted to a right angle bracket screwed to the top plate. For electronics a quartet harness is often enough unless you want to power your house. make a list of what you want on the bike before deciding how to do it.
For me its.
denali soundbomb direct to battery with inline fuse
switchbacks from harness
Acc socket with twin usb plug in left pocket from harness
My phone is my gps and that and my dashcam plug into the acc socket so i can remove them when not in use

Top Bottom