Progressive Springs ?

Bike
1998 ST1100
A month ago I bought some new suspension for my '98 ST1100. Progressive 465 rear, and Progressive springs up front. I needed new seals and bushings, so just did the rear myself, and dropped it off at a dealer for the springs. I didn't ride it much since then (other bikes) but these springs are way too soft. I haven't measured, but I suspect the weight of the bike uses half of the travel. Is it relatively simple to add spacers? The new springs also squeak like crazy, is this normal?

FWIW I added .50 to the left spacer (3.75) and added a .50 spacer to the right leg. I weigh in at 275 dressed, sag is 1.50. It rides much better, not so soft. Still squeaks like mad though.

Kong - I've run Progressive Springs in the front of my Standard and never got any 'squeaks'. But I also use 10 wt fork oil in there. I've swapped my ABSII models to Works Springs in the front with 10 wt fork oil and about 1 3/8' preload (pretty stiff but the way I like it!).

Kong,
If you get disillusioned with the front progressive springs, try some Sonic springs or Racetech constant travel springs. I went thru
2 sets of progressive springs, before I put on Sonics. Constant travel springs are the way to go.
The softness of the progressive spring gave a vague feeling to the front suspension travel. They were ok to start with, but
went away after about 20k miles.
I'm also using 15 wt fork oil with the springs. The ST is one heavy bike!!

Progressive spring squeak??? The OEM Honda spring is a progressive wound spring. The Honda service manual instructions are to insert the tightly wound side down to lessen spring noise. The Progressive brand instructions make reference to some OEM manuals stating this.

Squeakers, Is the tight wound side up or down?

Hello Guys,
I just bought a set of progressive springs as well, but my fork oil was just replaced recently. Can I just remove the oem springs and pop in the progressive's with the spacer? Do I need to change the fork oil again?
Was thinking if I can just replace the springs and go ride, else will have to wait till the next service schedule.

Hope to hear some expert advise/suggestions.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom