Question About Dunlop Tire Recall

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I appear have the Sportmax front tire on my ST1300 that they will replace for free. The letter from Dunlop says they will replace any made prior to 2009 in one paragraph and in the next paragraph says only tires made in 07 and 08 qualify for replacement. My tire has the date code for 05. I need to find out which statement is true. Dunlop has not answered my calls or responded to messages.

Also the letter refers only to Sportmax Roadsmarts. Is this the same as the Sportmax?

The letter can be found on the other ST board if you search for Dunlop Sportmax.

AL

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
In my experience, tar must have been installed by an "authorized dealer" which would leave me out anyway. :D

STOC #
In my experience, tar must have been installed by an "authorized dealer" which would leave me out anyway. :D
I don't think the prior installation history factors into the recall. Per the Dunlop PDF, you arrange a replacement with an authorized dealer provided the tire is the correct model. They will mount and balance the new one at Dunlop's expense. There is no requirement to prove the prior tire was installed by an authorized dealer.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
UPDATE: Rob from Dunlop just called and he assured me that only tires made in France in 2007 and 2008 had problems and qualify for free replacement. I will replace the tire in the near future regardless.
The deadline for getting this done is next month (06/31/2011) so if you have the 07 or 08 tires you don't have much time.
BTW my tires came on the bike new from the factory and have only 6000 miles on them.

AL

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
UPDATE: Rob from Dunlop just called and he assured me that only tires made in France in 2007 and 2008 had problems and qualify for free replacement. I will replace the tire in the near future regardless.
The deadline for getting this done is next month (06/31/2011) so if you have the 07 or 08 tires you don't have much time.
BTW my tires came on the bike new from the factory and have only 6000 miles on them.

AL
'Rider, what year is your bike? Concerns me that you received a newer bike with 6-year-old tars.

I don't think the prior installation history factors into the recall. Per the Dunlop PDF, you arrange a replacement with an authorized dealer provided the tire is the correct model. They will mount and balance the new one at Dunlop's expense. There is no requirement to prove the prior tire was installed by an authorized dealer.
There are a few posts in the "Stickey" thread at the top of the page where Dunlop sent replacement tires and a check for $60 to private individuals. I hope this policy has not changed. I prefer to mount my own tires.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
There are a few posts in the "Stickey" thread at the top of the page where Dunlop sent replacement tires and a check for $60 to private individuals. I hope this policy has not changed. I prefer to mount my own tires.
What proof of ownership are they asking for? Picture enough?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
only tires made in France in 2007 and 2008 had problems
Thanks for that, I will look at the 01 I just got to see if it's shoes are bad or not. They each have a few tho left in them.
Mark

I called Dunlop this morning and this is basically how the process goes for a private individual. When you call the 800 number you will get a recording machine. Leave your name and number and a detailed message. In our case the Roadsmart 120/70ZR18 tire swap. I received a call back by a very friendly and professional person about an hour later. Make sure you will be at your call back number for a while. The information he needed was:
1. Type of bike tire was used on
2. Full 12 character DOT code
3. Your name
4. The dealer you would like to work through and have your tire mounted.

They would prefer to work through a dealer, however being in a rural area and having already replaced the tire with another, we settled on a different way. Dunlop will send me a replacement tire to my physical address, in my case my employer address. Fed-Ex will pick up my old tire from this same address and return it to Dunlop. When Dunlop receives my tire they will mail a $60 dollar check to reimburse mounting and balanceing costs. IMHO, a very customer friendly way to handle this.
I'll update if this happens differently.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I called Dunlop this morning and this is basically how the process goes for a private individual. When you call the 800 number you will get a recording machine. Leave your name and number and a detailed message. In our case the Roadsmart 120/70ZR18 tire swap. I received a call back by a very friendly and professional person about an hour later. Make sure you will be at your call back number for a while. The information he needed was:
1. Type of bike tire was used on
2. Full 12 character DOT code
3. Your name
4. The dealer you would like to work through and have your tire mounted.

They would prefer to work through a dealer, however being in a rural area and having already replaced the tire with another, we settled on a different way. Dunlop will send me a replacement tire to my physical address, in my case my employer address. Fed-Ex will pick up my old tire from this same address and return it to Dunlop. When Dunlop receives my tire they will mail a $60 dollar check to reimburse mounting and balanceing costs. IMHO, a very customer friendly way to handle this.
I'll update if this happens differently.
Great. Thanks.

Top Bottom