Quick report on BT023 wear

When I ran the 023 tires I got about the same miles and just got a new rear tire to complete wearing out the front.

WHAT? 5000 miles only? I had a flat (posted as a thread) and had around 6000 miles , expecting another 3000 min. Your roads must be like sandpaper. Made out of seashells? Mmmmm......

I just changed out my rear BT-023 GT at 8,000 miles to the cords. Had a key puncture the tire 2 days ago, so don't know if a few miles of under-inflated running at highway speeds accelerated the wear. Didn't notice the flat until just arriving at work. fortunately, 2 gummy worms and rubber cement held it until I got home on surface streets. Front tire still looks almost like new at that mileage.

Bill

I recently changed my BT-023 with 11,000 miles, front had many miles left but changed it with the rear which was not too bad. Went with BT-023 front & back again @ $200 for both off the internet.

Pics don't lie but it sure is amazing (confusing!) how some get so little mileage out of their tires and others so much! Regardless, I think I've decided to go with a set of BT-023, front and rear, for my recently acquired '99 ST1100, as much because they're one of the few available in the stock sizes I need. I won't be riding anywhere near as much as some of you so I'll let you know in a few years how they do! ;)

Pics don't lie but it sure is amazing (confusing!) how some get so little mileage out of their tires and others so much!
So true. This is by far the best tire I've put on my /99 so far and it appears to be falling within the range of distances that some others have been reporting. Only diff is that my front almost always gets pooched at the same time as the back. Guess I brake too heavily using the front vs the back, (standard St as well). I don't normally carry much weight in the bags and ride solo.

I got over 9000 miles out of the set this time around and the rear is not really toast yet. Would like to try the GT version rear with a wider front next. The front is lapped but doesn't wobble "hands-free", (unlike the Avons before it) and it still corners fine even though the tire center line is now worn down almost to the bottom of the tread.

Ross

I got over 9000 miles out of the set this time around and the rear is not really toast yet.

If by "9000 miles" you mean 14,500 km (which is probably the case since you're a Canukian as am I) then that sounds pretty reasonable to me as it's going to take me several seasons to ride that much ... yet another reason for me to fit my own '99 ST with a set of BT-023s in the stock sizes called for by Mother Honda and just be done with it.

Wow, your not kidding, different roads create different wear. Here are my tires on Canadian roads with 6600 miles on them. Also did LA and back on them up the coast of CA, OR and WA pulling a uni go trailer with a pillion. These are BT023 GT's. According to my research and calulations, they have another 6600 miles left on them. Also, I did the calculation from Km's to miles if your wondering. Go figure.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

If by "9000 miles" you mean 14,500 km (which is probably the case since you're a Canukian as am I) then that sounds pretty reasonable to me as it's going to take me several seasons to ride that much ...
Yup, about right in km. Don't actually remember the odo reading when I changed them last time but it was before I moved up here from Milton. I usually get 3 seasons of "normal" riding up here out of a set or one long cross-country tour.
As broc11 mentions the GT won't fit the 1100 directly but I've been kinda/sorta looking at modifying the swingarm itself to make room for it. Probably a waste of time for the extra mileage I'll get. Equalizing the front to back width ratio is more appealing to me, especially since I have to drive on gravel roads here for a bit each time.

Ross

Just put a set of BT023 on the ST1100 so will see how they wear. My Avons lasted just over 16,000 miles and failed due to a failed belt or puncture in the rear. If not for that they would have gone another 2000-3000 miles for sure. Replaced both just 'cuz I like to keep the same F/R. Would like to see the same miles on these but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom