Race Tech Springs

Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
I installed a set of RT .934 kg/mm springs on my 2006 ST 1300 PA about 7 years ago. I noticed right off that it sat higher and leaned over quite a bit more on the side stand. I put on another 30K , and seeing how i have five bikes to ride i didn't give it much thought till now. Its winter here in Canada, i have nothing but time. I'm going to strip the bike down and do all the fluids.

I figured as long as I'm doing that, i might as well take the forks off and, put in new seals and sliders, and fix these forks.

I measured my sag today and its 27mm. I'm not an real aggressive rider, so figure that i should be around the 35 mm mark. I did make note that when I originally put the RT springs in that I used a level of oil of 130mm. Don't know where I got that as the service man recommends 62mm.

So this is where i need the assist.
1. What is the proper oil level for the RT springs.
2. To get the right sag, do i just shave off 8mm from the spring collar/spacer?

Thanks..........from cold Cochrane Alberta

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you consider the RT Gold Valves? A number of guys here said there was a big improvement in handling after installing them. I went for comfort - before I got a jolt going over blacktop heaves and railroad tracks, after the bumps were lengthened, i.e. smoothed out and I did not get as much as a kick from them. Shortly after the front forks, I had RT rebuild my rear shock w/ their Gold Valves. This ended the 'kick in the pants' that i got. The bike also seemed more stable in curves - and I am NOT a 'sporty' rider.

Bike
2005 st1300
I will add that depending on mileage, you may want to inspect the bushings (i am assuming that is what you meant with "sliders") before buying new ones. The general consensus is that these bushings can last a good length of time. I took my '05 apart at about 75k and they looked like new, but I had already purchased new ones. I wish I had waited to inspect first.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
You can NOT put in RaceTech springs and the stock spacers. You are correct with the 35-36mm of rider sag though. The oil level is also correct and will not affect the sag numbers. Honda runs a higher oil level to make up for weak springs. The 62mm oil level makes for a smaller air pocket which helps keep the fork from bottoming out. Taking 8mm off of the spacers should get you close, but make sure you are measuring this sage with your weight on the bike. Zip ties around the forks and slid down against the dust covers helps when trying to measure sag by yourself.

OP
OP
Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
You can NOT put in RaceTech springs and the stock spacers. You are correct with the 35-36mm of rider sag though. The oil level is also correct and will not affect the sag numbers. Honda runs a higher oil level to make up for weak springs. The 62mm oil level makes for a smaller air pocket which helps keep the fork from bottoming out. Taking 8mm off of the spacers should get you close, but make sure you are measuring this sage with your weight on the bike. Zip ties around the forks and slid down against the dust covers helps when trying to measure sag by yourself.
If i cant use the stock spacers, how do i make up the difference?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
If i cant use the stock spacers, how do i make up the difference?
You can cut the ones you have if you're not going back to stock springs. Or you can find another source of spacer like PVC or a grab handle for showers. Just find the right diameter. Good luck

Racetech sent me enough spacers to go back to stock if i wanted. I cut about a half inch off stock spacers to get the 25mm preload on the springs.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
As others have said, you're not adding to the spacer, you're shortening it. The springs are a little longer (if I remember correctly) and carry more weight. This means less sag. RaceTech springs with stock spacers will put you in the 20-22mm of sag range. This is too little sag.

You can cut the stock spacers with a pipe cutter or use heavy PVC in their place. I may even still have my stock spacers that I could send you for the price of shipping. I'll have to look where I think they may be, but now a days that does aways work out.

OP
OP
Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
Thanks for all that info. I will get at it and correct it which i should have done a long time ago. if this works, i'm going to do my 2001 Valkyrie Interstate which i found in a barn last year. Sat there for 7 years and has 9000 miles on it. I suspect RT springs would be useful for a big tourer like it. It won't replace my ST but for 5 grand a couldn't pass it up.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
A good place to start is to lay out the stock spring and spacer with any washers used. Then cut the spacer so that the new spring, washers and spacer are the same overall length as the old system. The heavier spring will improve your sag numbers and this will get you in the ballpark of where you want to be. 34-36mm of rider sag.

OP
OP
Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
That would work, but as per my first post, i already have the RT springs in it. Can't remember what stock was. I just have to fine tune it now from my present sag of 27mm to around 34-35mm. I have to reduce my spacer by 9 to 10mm. I will then go with the 130mm oil measurement. Looking fwd to taking it for a rip, but that will be a few months.

Top Bottom