Radar Obstructions

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Can the windshield's mounting bracket arms interfer with a radar detector's field of view, or block incoming radar signals? :confused:

STOC #
Fred
I intalled my Radar detector on the turbo city shelf like you ordered. I put a 1 inch spacer of mycarta board on top of the shelf and mounted my detector on top of that. It still does not clear the windshield bracket all the way, but I just got back from a 6650 mile trip and I it seemed to work really well to me.

YMMV

Sparky

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The instructions that came with my 8500 caution about placing the unit too low on the windscreen so that it ends up behind the windshield wiper arms. So yeah, I think there could be an effect alright. I moved mine as close to center as I could on the Ron Smith shelf. I don't want to mount it on the raised center part of the shelf however, as it tilts slightly downward. I could be wrong but I thought might be worse.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
I've got a Turbocity mini-shelf on the right side, thinking about getting one for the left. The shelf sits level just above the dash, but pointing right to the windshield's mounting arms when the windshield is raised. At the lowest setting the windshield mounting arms are not in the way, but I like a little wind protection so I raise mine about half way. Such a great spot for the radar except for this one little nagging hang-up. I hate that! :( :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
STOC #
I bought a Bel 955 about a month ago and I think Mark is spot on about the interference, but mine still worked well. I would have liked to have avoided any obstructions, but I felt even if it effected the reliability by a fraction, it was still better than flying nekid. :rolleyes:

The only time I got stopped was when I forgot to turn it on.:(

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
+1 tom's comments regarding laser. personally, i don't concern myself with laser because odds are if your detector signals you, it's already too late. unlike laser, though, radar's footprint is much larger so i wouldn't be too concerned about the windshield arms as long as the radar doesn't butt up against them.

i have my v-1 in an electronic enclosure and mounted above the clutch reservoir. no noticeable degradation of capability.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
+1 tom's comments regarding laser. personally, i don't concern myself with laser because odds are if your detector signals you, it's already too late. unlike laser, though, radar's footprint is much larger so i wouldn't be too concerned about the windshield arms as long as the radar doesn't butt up against them.

i have my v-1 in an electronic enclosure and mounted above the clutch reservoir. no noticeable degradation of capability.
Thanks! That was just about what I was hoping to hear. The broad radar signal will not be so degarded to be rendered usless, and the lazer detection is, as I am learning, a signal that you have been POPPED! :policeST:... . . :06biker: LOL.

The TC shelf is a perfect place to mount the radar unit for line of sight and cabling. Too many pros to worry about.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Trust me ... It doesn't take a great deal of metal to soak up or reflect RF at 10 GHz (X Band). It takes even less at 24 GHz (K Band) and less than that at 35 GHz (Ka Band). This isn't to say that you won't get energy from other directions, but for your detector to do the best job it can, you don't want the antenna obstructed.

Semi-related story: A couple of years ago, I bought the new version of the RF exposure monitor that I use in the field to make sure I'm not getting hit with microwaves. I commented to the sales rep that I liked the new black color better than the old yellow color. He told me they had to toss their initial run of the cases because the coloring they used soaked up RF above 90 GHz. Oopsie...

--Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Trust me ... It doesn't take a great deal of metal to soak up or reflect RF at 10 GHz (X Band). It takes even less at 24 GHz (K Band) and less than that at 35 GHz (Ka Band). This isn't to say that you won't get energy from other directions, but for your detector to do the best job it can, you don't want the antenna obstructed.

Semi-related story: A couple of years ago, I bought the new version of the RF exposure monitor that I use in the field to make sure I'm not getting hit with microwaves. I commented to the sales rep that I liked the new black color better than the old yellow color. He told me they had to toss their initial run of the cases because the coloring they used soaked up RF above 90 GHz. Oopsie...

--Mark
Then when I speed I'll have to leave the windshield all the way down. Bummer! :eek: ;) :D

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Can the windshield's mounting bracket arms interfer with a radar detector's field of view, or block incoming radar signals? :confused:
Not if the radar detector's antenna is mounted in the forward most part of the fairing.

Ray

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Not if the radar detector's antenna is mounted in the forward most part of the fairing.

Ray
It rests on a small top-of-dash-level mini-shelf (from Turbocity) and it is pointed forward through the windshield right where the right side bracket arm.

Top Bottom