Rear Tyre choice

Hi All,
My 95 ST1100 outfit is set up for long-distance touring and has a double chair fitted. It currently has a Bridgestone sport tourer T30R on the rear, Dunlop sportmax on the front, and an "S" rated car tyre (mini minor) on the chair.

I ride a lot on dirt roads and often experience wheelspin when climbing steep inclines. Can anyone suggest a rear tyre with a more "car-like" flat profile? I think the weight of the outfit on dirt roads demands a larger road contact footprint on the rear tyre.

I am a conservative rider and usually tour at around 100-120 kph. However, ambient heat is hard on tyres here in Australia. The combination of weight, hot climate, and extended periods of operation at touring speeds means I probably need a tyre rated "S "or above.

I will welcome all comments or suggestions.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
You could actually go car tire. It involves the 16" rear tire from a Honda GL 1500 and some modifications. That may be a sit of a stretch finding the necessary items. (edit ot add)- I found the thread by using ST1100 darkside.

There is a bit more to it than just swapping the wheels. For in depth info check out the link below. You may have to join "the liST" to view, but there is lots of ST1100 stuff there and well worth checking out.
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7848.0

Btw, I've been darkside about a year.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Conservative rider or not, the chair will eat soft tyres for breakfast. It has been a longtime since I rode with one, but I remember distinctly the wear rate - and started to understand when I noticed two separate things:

1. My rear wheel kept breaking spokes - probably going too fast round right hand bends - putting the weight on the chair and side loading the rear wheel - which would have been trying to lift.

2. I was riding down the nice twisty A5 from Bethesda (N Wales) to Bangor. A daily commute. I glanced down at where my front wheel was just following the white line. I was rather gobsmacked to see that my wheel was pointing considerably left of the direction of the white line. It was a long left hand bend. It felt perfect but was clearly understeering and scrubbing around the corner.

The chair was properly attached and the toe-in and lean-out were correct. It had no leading link suspension, but the bike was manufactured for use with a sidecar.

It doesn't answer your question, but a T30 isn't going to last long. I used to use Avons - at the time the only tyre available that had a flattish profile. But it was 1976. Things might have changed a bit since then !

I like the chair on your Avatar - what is it ?

Top Bottom